Does MOP dull over time?

Oh no :sad:
I’ve had a different experience; I bought my WG MOP 5 motif about 3 years ago, wore it almost everyday as a bracelet for about 2 years for about 10-12hrs/day for work, out and about etc, and now it is a part of my necklace of 5 motifs. And it still has a beautiful shine and luster to it, esp after using the polishing cloth :smile:
I know this is an old post but pearls and MOP become more alive when worn.

I know this is an old post but pearls and MOP become more alive when worn.
Totally agree with you. Pearls should be worn. Pearls need natural air and need moisture.
Pearls should not be stored in a safe deposit box, as the air is controlled and dry and will dry out the pearls.

Google "pearls store in safe deposit box". It's a big no no to store pearls in a safe deposit box.

I honestly wash mine with soap and water whenever I feel like it's looking a bit dull. For me it's just a layer of dirt from regular wear. It comes back to "life" after being cleaned. I haven't seen any permanent dulling so far and I've owned this necklace for 3 years.

Bumping post. I just got white MOP/YG Vintage Alhambra earrings for Mother's Day from VCA website. Looks dull compared to my white mop 10 motif necklace that I've had 15 plus years. Thinking of returning it during return window because worried luster should be there when new, no?

My husband thinks its only a tiny bit less luster. I think maybe when I look in the mirror the necklace is more lustery as it faces the mirror face on and the earring is at an angle, so doesn't capture the light? Also I think maybe some of the accumulated "gunk" over 15 years gives it some extra depth"!?:smile:
IMG_2296.jpg

Also, how do most people clean their MOP? Especially if there is some extra "gunk accumulated along the edge". I use a soft cloth and smidge of water - although I've read not to use water for MOP, but not sure how else to clean?!

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: YEANETT