Does MOP dull over time?

Mori_K

Jul 5, 2019
Hey everyone,

I have 5-motif MOP bracelet that I purchased less than a year ago. I've been super careful with the bracelet (no contact with water, soap, etc...) and only wear it occasionally. However, I've noticed that the motifs are no longer as luminous/shiny as when I first got it. The MOP pieces look visibly duller :sad: Any tips on how to restore the shine or how to clean/care for it?

(I also own Onyx, Carnelian and RG pieces and this has not happened with my other pieces:eek:)

Sorry to hear of your MOP has become dull. It could be soiled or just dried out. I hear that MOP can dry out over time as it is a natural item. Be careful not to spray perfume or lotion onto it. Or wait at least 10 min after application of perfume before wearing your MOP jewelry. If nothing works, VCA can replace the MOP which I heard is a couple of hundred dollars.

VCA recommends cleaning with plain water.

Reactions: Mori_K
Oh no :sad:
I’ve had a different experience; I bought my WG MOP 5 motif about 3 years ago, wore it almost everyday as a bracelet for about 2 years for about 10-12hrs/day for work, out and about etc, and now it is a part of my necklace of 5 motifs. And it still has a beautiful shine and luster to it, esp after using the polishing cloth :smile:

Sorry to hear of your MOP has become dull. It could be soiled or just dried out. I hear that MOP can dry out over time as it is a natural item. Be careful not to spray perfume or lotion onto it. Or wait at least 10 min after application of perfume before wearing your MOP jewelry. If nothing works, VCA can replace the MOP which I heard is a couple of hundred dollars.

VCA recommends cleaning with plain water.
Yes! Definitely thinking of replacing the stones down the line!

Reactions: amour28
I’ve had a different experience; I bought my WG MOP 5 motif about 3 years ago, wore it almost everyday as a bracelet for about 2 years for about 10-12hrs/day for work, out and about etc, and now it is a part of my necklace of 5 motifs. And it still has a beautiful shine and luster to it, esp after using the polishing cloth :smile:
Been using the polishing cloth too! But it’s great to hear that your MOP is holding up so well :biggrin:

I have a similar experience in YG MOP 5 motif bracelet. I bought it 5 years ago, only wore it maybe 50-100 times. I had washed my hands & MOP bracelet with soap/water many times. The MOP seems to keep its shine and luster, even with my extensive washing...I guess I may be lucky with this MOP purchase because I heard it requires some care/caution over washing the MOP jewelry.

Yes, I have noticed that my MOP after several months in the bank safe had become dull. A good wipe with the VCA cleaning cloth sorted the problem. Had the same issue with my other pearls. I think non wearing it causes this but no harm done. Very easy to polish it yourself or bring it to VCA.

Thanks everyone for your advice! Will definitely try to wear it more - though it’s definitely hard during quarantine to justify wearing nice things around the house :biggrin:

Well, You will be surprised ... :smile:
I ceased wearing nice things around the house for almost 3 months (mid-March to mid-June) during the start of Shelter-in-Place.
Now, I resume wearing nice things around the house. I think that's one way to keep my sanity & cheer myself up amid the stressful situations brought by this pandemic & shelter-in-place. :flowers:

Thanks for posting this! I have the same issue. Bought mine about a year ago but haven’t been able to wear it since during this pandemic. I took it out the other day and noticed it has lost is shine.

Hey everyone,

I have 5-motif MOP bracelet that I purchased less than a year ago. I've been super careful with the bracelet (no contact with water, soap, etc...) and only wear it occasionally. However, I've noticed that the motifs are no longer as luminous/shiny as when I first got it. The MOP pieces look visibly duller :sad: Any tips on how to restore the shine or how to clean/care for it?

(I also own Onyx, Carnelian and RG pieces and this has not happened with my other pieces:eek:)

Well, You will be surprised ... :smile:
I ceased wearing nice things around the house for almost 3 months (mid-March to mid-June) during the start of Shelter-in-Place.
Now, I resume wearing nice things around the house. I think that's one way to keep my sanity & cheer myself up amid the stressful situations brought by this pandemic & shelter-in-place. :flowers:

Good for you! :tup:

My VanCleef Alhambra MOP (2) tens/yellow gold are over 10 years old and both have the same shine and luster they had when
I purchased them. I think it may make a difference if the MOP alhambra are a bracelet or necklace. Mine have never been washed or had water on them and I have never used a cleaning cloth on them. They are stored in my safe in the velvet snap VCA sleeve that they came in.

Reactions: Alena21 and sammix3
My VanCleef Alhambra MOP (2) tens/yellow gold are over 10 years old and both have the same shine and luster they had when
I purchased them. I think it may make a difference if the MOP alhambra are a bracelet or necklace. Mine have never been washed or had water on them and I have never used a cleaning cloth on them. They are stored in my safe in the velvet snap VCA sleeve that they came in.
How do you clean it? Have you wiped it down with a soft cloth at all?

I think the climate where one lives is responsible for the dullness plus non wearing. I live in a super humid climate. So all my mother of pearl pieces had like an oily film on top when I collected them from the safe after 4-5 months. They looked like a mirror after shower. After wiping them with the VCA cloth it went away, now as good as new.. Same with my South Sea pearls and fresh water pearls.

Reactions: fice16