Does love grow?

MMoos

Dec 28, 2010
Some of your ladies will remember my saga with Mulberry but to recap:

Bought an Oak Bayswater on the 29th of Jan 2011. Sprayed it with collonil spray and nourished it with gel when it looked dry after the spray. Had patches of discolouration the day after, contacted Mulberry CS and they asked for it to be sent back to QC for inspection. They got back to me and said that it was normal wear (despite me not ever wearing it!!) but that as a goodwill gesture, they would exchange it. They would however suggest that I exchange it for a Chocolate or Black Bayswater because of durability and decreased propensity to show 'wear' (aka uneven patches).

After consideration, I decided to go for the Chocolate Bayswater, and the saga begins. The first one was absolutely gorgeous, the grain, etc was everything I was looking for (I emailed them to tell them what I wanted). It was thick scrumptious leather. I remember being thrilled to bits when I first received it. However, a couple of days later, when I went to put the bag back into the dustbag after allowing her to dry from the liberal collonil spraying, I noticed that one of the squares of leather beneath the feet wasn't stitched in, so that had to go back to Mulberry.

This was followed by 2 replacement Chocolate Bayswaters, the last one just arrived yesterday. Both of them have had uneven grain (large grain, interspersed with smaller grain and smooth patches), and the leather is flimsy in comparison to the first replacement Bayswater. Replacement two was sent back because of that, and now replacement three, although a little better, isn't that much better. I am not sure what to do now.

Options:

1. Should I give myself more time to bond with the bag? Maybe it was my imagination/flawed memory that made me think that the first replacement was so gorgeous.

2. Should I ask for yet another replacement? There is no guarantee that any replacement would be any better (seeing that Mulberry has already sent me two!!).

3. Should I ask them to track down that original one, and repair it? Will any repair be very obvious?

4. Should I forget about the Bayswater entirely and ask for a refund?

Sorry for the essay. I realise I am being an absolute pain (to Mulberry and everyone else), but this is the first time I have forked out SO much for a bag, and I really didn't expect so many issues.

Thanks for reading if you have actually got this far!!

Nightmare!!!

In your shoes i would go refund, I think. Your experience has been spoiled. Don't settle for a bag you don't love. Maybe try another style or even another brand. I agree that quality can be hit and miss. I recently saw an oak Lily in HOf with grain so uneven and poor that it looked like a second. I was shocked that they would sell it full price, tbh. xx

In my experience with bags, it's not love that grows, it's discontent.

I agree with IWANB, get a refund. Go and look at bags in person, buy the one which you fall in love with after carefully inspecting it.

Altogether too many reports of quality problems with Mulberry recently; paradoxically they seem to be increasing as the prices go up, and the CS people seem to be finding more reasons to disallow claims. No wonder the Non Mulberry thread on here is so busy ...

Thanks, IWANB, Hulahoop and tortoiseperson, for your replies. Unfortunately, I live in the US at the moment, and can't get to a store. Perhaps, I should just forget about the Bayswater altogether. It is just so disappointing after dreaming about the bag for 2 years and finally being able to get it!! :shucks:

Oh well, I guess some things are not meant to be!!

I'm so sorry things aren't improving for you.

If you feel that the excitement over this bag is gone, then ask for a refund and look around at other bags.

Would you be willing to (as mentioned in one of the older threads I think) order one over the phone in the NY store? Perhaps go back to the oak you originally wanted?

Personally I think it's very sad that Mulberry doesn't take better care of their customers, specially when you're on your third replacement bag!!

I'm so sorry things aren't improving for you.

If you feel that the excitement over this bag is gone, then ask for a refund and look around at other bags.

Would you be willing to (as mentioned in one of the older threads I think) order one over the phone in the NY store? Perhaps go back to the oak you originally wanted?

Personally I think it's very sad that Mulberry doesn't take better care of their customers, specially when you're on your third replacement bag!!

TheaBerry, thanks for your reply. Actually the second replacement bag was sent from the New York store. This was despite me saying to them that I would really want a bag which is evenly grained all over.

I still do love the Bayswater, and would dearly love one...just one which is great quality!! However, I am starting to think maybe it is a pipe dream, as the quality is so variable. Or maybe, I am just a pain in the backside of a customer!!

I must say that Gillian Pitcher at CS has been trying her very hardest, but I guess she really has no control over quality. :sad:

I would go for refund and then buy a nice used one/vintage one from a reputable seller and use the Authenticate thread to have any finds checked over. There are still some great buys to be had and the photos should show you the detail you need to find a good one.

Good luck, there will be one out there for you!

I agree with the refund and still go for a Bays whether pre loved from E Bay or new. If you have set your heart on one and go for another brand I think you would regret it, personally.

As for"Love Grows" I agree with TP that it doesn't, so don't be persuaded to keep one you are not 100% happy wit, it's too much money for that.

Good luck and let us know what happens.;)

TheaBerry, thanks for your reply. Actually the second replacement bag was sent from the New York store. This was despite me saying to them that I would really want a bag which is evenly grained all over.

I still do love the Bayswater, and would dearly love one...just one which is great quality!! However, I am starting to think maybe it is a pipe dream, as the quality is so variable. Or maybe, I am just a pain in the backside of a customer!!

I must say that Gillian Pitcher at CS has been trying her very hardest, but I guess she really has no control over quality. :sad:

Seems you still love the bag. I say don't give up yet!

Return it and have them call you when they're choosing your next replacement. They should be so embarrassed of themselves. And don't think you're a tough customer, you're just a) very unlucky and b) want the quality you're paying for. I'd be the same.

Good luck. Hope to see a reveal thread from you soon!

How about if you asked the store to send you some pictures of the bag before they send it. If they have 2 maybe they can take pics of both for you to choose.
I wouldn't settle for 2nd best, it's too much money to be unhappy. I'm the same with grain on a bag - I have to have an even grain all over or I don't like it

I have an ongoing quality issue with Mulberry at the moment. Whatever the final outcome I'll let you all know. Since January I have also had to return a purse and a scarf. My local SAs in Glasgow are fabulous but Mulberry quality has become sh*te. Totally overpriced, badly made sh*te. And believe me I'm tempering my language. My advice is to get shot of it. Nobody can say you haven't tried over and over Mmoos.

What about trying to buy a used bays on ebay? At least you could see then from the pics the grain/what the bag looks like? xx

I would go for refund and then buy a nice used one/vintage one from a reputable seller and use the Authenticate thread to have any finds checked over. There are still some great buys to be had and the photos should show you the detail you need to find a good one.

Good luck, there will be one out there for you!

I agree with the refund and still go for a Bays whether pre loved from E Bay or new. If you have set your heart on one and go for another brand I think you would regret it, personally.

As for"Love Grows" I agree with TP that it doesn't, so don't be persuaded to keep one you are not 100% happy wit, it's too much money for that.

Good luck and let us know what happens.;)

Seems you still love the bag. I say don't give up yet!

Return it and have them call you when they're choosing your next replacement. They should be so embarrassed of themselves. And don't think you're a tough customer, you're just a) very unlucky and b) want the quality you're paying for. I'd be the same.

Good luck. Hope to see a reveal thread from you soon!

How about if you asked the store to send you some pictures of the bag before they send it. If they have 2 maybe they can take pics of both for you to choose.
I wouldn't settle for 2nd best, it's too much money to be unhappy. I'm the same with grain on a bag - I have to have an even grain all over or I don't like it

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Very much appreciated.

I am a fusspot when it comes to grain, and all your suggestions make sense - see the bag before getting it!! I guess the first replacement bag sent by Mulberry CS was so great that I just didn't expect them to mess up when they have to do it again.

On the other hand, I must be the nightmare customer from hell for them. I am almost too embarrassed to email Gillian Pitcher this morning to say that the replacement bag wasn't right. It is not as if she didn't try. :shucks: I do wonder whether it is me who is the problem. Those of you who have tried to reassure me that I am not, thank you. It helps alleviate my fears that I am becoming too obsessive-compulsive!!

I have an ongoing quality issue with Mulberry at the moment. Whatever the final outcome I'll let you all know. Since January I have also had to return a purse and a scarf. My local SAs in Glasgow are fabulous but Mulberry quality has become sh*te. Totally overpriced, badly made sh*te. And believe me I'm tempering my language. My advice is to get shot of it. Nobody can say you haven't tried over and over Mmoos.

Corries2, I am glad it is not just me. I have been thinking that perhaps I am asking for too much? I have not ventured into the world of designer handbags before, and I am starting to think that perhaps 664 pounds is not meant to get me what it is supposed to get me.

However, when people like you who have been buying Mulberry for a while tell me that quality IS going downhill, it does make it seem like Mulberry is no longer worth buying, which is really sad. Please do let us know how you get on, Corries2 with your ongoing quality issue.