Does Louis Vuitton Authenticate?

Mar 3, 2010
Hi
I was wondering, does LV authenticate items in store?
I sold a bag and the buyer claimed they paid $75 at a LV store in Canada to authenticate it. I've never heard of this before, is it an actual service?

From what I have read, the sales assistants might have a look at it and tell you whether its authentic or not, but won't put it in writing as people have done this to sell fake bags- using the letter as 'proof' of authenticity.
If you want to have your bag authenticated, maybe ask for a quote on a repair. I don't think they would authorise a repair on a counterfit item.
My concern would be that they might confiscate your item if its fake though...

They dont charge or do it as a service..but if you go in and ask they can have a manager look it over to tell you, but they will not put anything in writting. I bought a bag off e bay and i knew 100% it was real..but my sister kept making comments that i didnt know. So we went into LV on vacation and had the manager inspect it-sure enough, real:supacool:

What will happen if you take an item that you bought on eBay into the Louis Vuitton store, to get it authenticated, and it turns out to be fake?
Will they take it away from you or something? I bought my last bag in a store yet I am recently thinking about purchasing a wallet of eBay. I'm scared that it will be really embarrassing... :sad:

@ ilovefashion87

I wanted to post on the "Authenticate This LV" thread but won't it take ages until I get an answer?
No they are pretty quick actually. You get a response within 24 hours and several times I've received a response the same day. You just have to make sure you have all the required photos. That is usually what delays the process.

No they are pretty quick actually. You get a response within 24 hours and several times I've received a response the same day. You just have to make sure you have all the required photos. That is usually what delays the process.

Yes they are pretty quick and are doing a great job - I was wondering regarding authentication are these people ex employees of LV or are they just LV lovers who have had a lot of experience and do it as a hobby here on the forums? I am curious :P

What will happen if you take an item that you bought on eBay into the Louis Vuitton store, to get it authenticated, and it turns out to be fake?
Will they take it away from you or something? I bought my last bag in a store yet I am recently thinking about purchasing a wallet of eBay. I'm scared that it will be really embarrassing... :sad:

No they can't take away your property.

If they think your bag is fake they would never say anything directly to you - unless you ask - and even then they would be very discrete and classy about it.

The person the OP is talking about is lying - they would never charge $ for an authentication. And they are actaully not 'suppose' to authenticate - although they will tell you their opinion sometimes.

Also keep in mind - they are not trained to authenticate - they are trained to sell bags. So they don't spend much time looking at fakes or knowing what to look for ;)