Does Louis Vuitton Authenticate?

They don't provide authentication as a service, so I'm surprised he was even willing to give his opinion.
I understand that as a matter of policy they say don't do authentications because they don't want to be held responsible if they claim a bag is authentic when it's not and so someone gets taken advantage of. Just like they don't make recommendations regarding cleaning/protecting products for use on their items because they won't want to be held liable for damage. That said, in practice, they clearly do do authentications because when we walked in the store and requested that the bag be authenticated, we were directed to a manager, who looked at it, and pronounced it authentic. Not once was there a mention of not authenticating the bag or hesitation about it. I was just shocked how swift he was! Either way, I don't have doubts about the bag so I guess that's the most important part! :smile:

I understand that as a matter of policy they say don't do authentications because they don't want to be held responsible if they claim a bag is authentic when it's not and so someone gets taken advantage of. Just like they don't make recommendations regarding cleaning/protecting products for use on their items because they won't want to be held liable for damage. That said, in practice, they clearly do do authentications because when we walked in the store and requested that the bag be authenticated, we were directed to a manager, who looked at it, and pronounced it authentic. Not once was there a mention of not authenticating the bag or hesitation about it. I was just shocked how swift he was! Either way, I don't have doubts about the bag so I guess that's the most important part! :smile:

I imagine he was swift because he didn't particularly care! They're there to make sales, not to authenticate pieces people have bought elsewhere. Anyway - that's what I was saying, they don't offer an authentication service. That was just an opinion, not an authentication of your bag by the company. I'd recommend that you get it checked out by the authenticators here, they're very knowledgeable, probably far more so than the manager who looked at your bag for five seconds.

Agreed ^^ He or LV has nothing to gain from authenticating your bag. They have other things to do with their time, like sell new bags! Just being factual. Now, if you were to ask for a repair, yes, you would hear whether or not your bag were authentic.

in practice, they clearly do do authentications because when we walked in the store and requested that the bag be authenticated, we were directed to a manager, who looked at it, and pronounced it authentic.

Please don't mistake a glance at something still inside a dustbag, not removed and handled fully, as an authentication. It was not.

You yourself started this thread asking if you were essentially being blown off, so something struck you about this encounter.

My SA DOES authenticate bags for me. She's done it several times for me. I think it depends on the store. That said. I do not think anyone selling a fake would meet you at an LVstore for authentication but just in case, have Carol Diva authenticate it for you.

Please don't mistake a glance at something still inside a dustbag, not removed and handled fully, as an authentication. It was not.

You yourself started this thread asking if you were essentially being blown off, so something struck you about this encounter.
I think you misunderstood... my question wasn't, "is the bag authentic" and I don't consider the bag authentic because of the manager's review, I was just interested how different LV associates handle these things! :smile:

I was already satisfied that it was authentic before we stepped in the boutique, but an extra opinion, especially from a manager who touches the bags daily, can't ever hurt! I was just surprised by his swift analysis when I've accompanied friends to the Santa Monica boutique and had more in-depth interactions. In my opinion, building rapport with customers goes a long way.

No, I didn't misunderstand (nor express any opinion about the bag itself), just was responding to your saying you had an authentication. I'm saying you didn't. You are being most generous to call it a "swift analysis," with dustbag still in place.

By the way, I have had SMs authenticate for me, but only because of knowing me well enough as a customer.

He looked at the bag for less than 5 seconds. Is he a wizard at authentication or did he basically blow us off? Anyone else have this happen?

You asked for responses about this behavior at LV, and you're getting them. It's not being jumped on, it's being responded to.

I know I wish you joy and happiness with your purchase.

Hi I am new to the forum and need help authenticating a Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene belt, I dont know where to post for help, hopfully this is fine. I know the belt is mens, thanks for your help!

Attachments

• LV BELT.jpg
    LV BELT.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 925
  • LV BELT 2.jpg
    LV BELT 2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 921
  • LV BELT 3.jpg
    LV BELT 3.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 916
Ahh... I feel like I'm getting jumped on here! I just was curious about other people's personal experiences when asking LV associates/managers for authenticity opinions, that's all! :sad:

That might be how your thread started but some of your posts changed the direction! :biggrin:

That said, I have first hand experience of them telling me something I had bought from another store was fake. I have a friend who was told her Cherry Blossom Pochette was fake because "LV never produced that line" (they obviously did but clearly before that particular SA was employed). I have also been in store purchasing and heard a SA tell a customer "we don't provide that service here" when being asked to authenticate an online purchase.

As with everything in life, you will find people have had differing experiences depending on the store and their personal relationship (or not) with an SA. Would I trust an SA's or manager's opinion - only if I happened to know them very well and knew of their career with the company.