Does Knockoff hurt or help brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritty1979c

LV addiction
O.G.
Apr 1, 2010
I came across this article on the news, wanted to share with my TPF friends.

http://www.slate.com/id/2294927/?GT1=38001

Thoughts?
Did you own a counterfeit before owning an authentic item?

I have to confess I did, it was about 10 yrs ago when I was in college, everybody was buying those bags in Chinatown. I didn't know much about them just thought they were cute. After that, I became more interested in the brand and eventually, with increase on income, came to own a real one. Today I own: 4 Louis Vuitton, 1 Gucci, 1 Fendi and a few Louis Vuitton accessories like wallet, pochette, bag charm.

This was really interesting!

I think it hurts the brands. While the study focused on upper-middle-class women, many of the people who buy fakes are not necessarily in a position to ever by the real thing. So I don't think they would ever decide to go out and buy the more expensive version. I know, I know, it sounds like that wouldn't be hurting the company, it just wouldn't be helping it either. Well, here is my logic...If I see everyone in my town carrying fake LV's then I don't want to buy an LV because everyone would assume it was fake anyway. What's the point? Why would I want people to think that I contributed to child labor and drug trafficking?

Hurt for sure. I have spoken to people who think that a fake bag is just as good as a real bag. I mean seriously? Seriously? :lecture: I see fake bags in the street and think they look so crappy and I think to myself "If someone see's this and doesn't know any better they will think that (insert brand here) bags are crappy." Beyond that sweat shops, child labor, etc come to mind when I see fake bags. I just think the quality and the reputation of fake bags is just wrong :tdown:

I'm totally unsure because companies have been knocking themselves off for ages! One designer varies a detail and another makes another variation of the original, etc. In that case, I guess replication is the best form of flattery. I, personally, won't buy a knockoff but I do understand why some women do. Many women have no knowledge of the manufacturer of the handbag they are buying except that they like the style. Based on that criteria, they buy the bag, not knowing that the bag is a knockoff sometimes. Other times, they will buy it because they love the style so much and they can't afford to buy the real deal, so to them, a replica is just as good. I won't pass judgment.

I think it hurts the brands because most of the knockoffs are made through child labor and drug trafficking. If everyone just bought knockoffs, the companies wouldn't be making any money. I have never bought a knockoff, and I never will because I understand the company behind the bag. My reasoning is this: if you don't have money to buy the real thing, then don't buy it. Knockoffs always look tacky. However, I can understand why people do buy knockoffs and I don't judge. Whatever floats your boat.

I think it hurts the brand. I was actually reading an article last night about how NYC lost a billion in revenue due to Canal Street knock offs.

Maybe if designers want to reach out to the population of people who cannot afford or do not wish to spend money on the higher end, they can make a more affordable line. Similar to Coach and how they made another line to appeal to younger people and more affordable prices.

Just my thought...

It hurts companies.

I don't mind bags that are "inspired by" ie. shape etc. But I don't agree with buying a bag that is supposed to pass as "the real deal". If I can't afford the real thing, Id rather just buy a nice leather bag in my price range.

It hurts companies.

I don't mind bags that are "inspired by" ie. shape etc. But I don't agree with buying a bag that is supposed to pass as "the real deal". If I can't afford the real thing, Id rather just buy a nice leather bag in my price range.

I don't think it necessarily hurts OR helps. I think in some ways it helps.... I mean, I can say that sometimes after seeing a knockoff I an more tempted to buy the real thing and it gets the design out there for me to see. But this is purely someone who grew up upper middle class and can foresee myself affording these things.
However, many who purchase knockoffs are never in any position to buy the real thing, so how can it really hurt the industry if they would never buy the real thing to start?

I don't pass judgement, whatever floats their boat is fine by me. I just know that I'd feel much better carrying the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.