Does hair stop growing if it is "fried"?

blueeyedgirl

Fashion Addict!
O.G.
May 16, 2008
This may be a really silly question, but I dyed my hair a dark brown in July, and then about a month ago I got all over blonde highlights. My hair doesn't seem to be growing, and it has been that way for quite some time. (Since before the blonde highlights)

What I am wondering is, did I fry it with too much dying in the past? That's what my friend's theory is. This doesn't make sense to me, because why would the virgin roots of my hair stop growing simply because the middle & ends are a bit dry.

Also, the myth that trimming your hair makes it grow faster is just that - a myth - correct? Haha, I know I probably sound ditzy, I'm just making sure. :biggrin:

i don't think it stops growing, but it may seem to slow down the growth process, if that makes sense? I mean, I don't think its going to compeletely stop growing but it is proven that healthy hair grows faster. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you constantly heat style everyday or really really often. Trimming your hair kind of improves your hair's health because you're getting the dead ends off of it, and as I said, healthy hair technically seems to grow faster than hair with damaged & split ends. I hope I make any sense, LOL, its hard to explain. Deep condition once a week, and you're fine.

I don't believe frying your hair would have anything to do with it growing, but I'm no expert. I simply don't see a connection between damaged hair and hair follicles embedded in your scalp or however that works. I don't even know if that's scientifically correct lol, but at least it'll help bump this thread so more can see it!

My hair was fried a few years ago from a wavy perm. I didn't have time to cut my hair due to work and school until a year after the perm, and my hair definitely did not stop growing within that time frame. Of course I did end up chopping a lot of hair off because the ends were so damaged :shucks:

Both are a myth. The hair grows at the same rate (except for medical changes that would cause a change) regardless of what one does to the ends. However, hair that is in poor condition or overprocessed hair breaks more easily, so it seems like it does not grow as fast because sections of the damaged hair are continually breaking off. Regular trims seem to help hair grow faster (it is an illusion) because they keep the hair from getting split ends, which again cause the ends to snap off more easily. So when hair resists breakage with healthy ends, the hair seems to grow faster.

"Fried" or damaged hair would be damage to the hair shaft/ends and not at the roots where the hair grows. Hair has 4 cycles, so each hair is at a different stage of growing and shedding. Damaged hair would not stop growing, but you would see more breakage, resulting in what would appear to be less growth.

Both are a myth. The hair grows at the same rate (except for medical changes that would cause a change) regardless of what one does to the ends. However, hair that is in poor condition or overprocessed hair breaks more easily, so it seems like it does not grow as fast because sections of the damaged hair are continually breaking off. Regular trims seem to help hair grow faster (it is an illusion) because they keep the hair from getting split ends, which again cause the ends to snap off more easily. So when hair resists breakage with healthy ends, the hair seems to grow faster.

Exactly...

I actually believe trimming your hair will grow faster, the only reason why is because you're getting rid of your dead ends/split ends. If you dont get trims, those ends will grow and grow and become worse. So whenever you do go in for your trim, you will end up having to cut off more than you expected lol. So, if you go for regular trims, get rid of those dead ends! Then it'll seem like your hair is longer, just because whoever isn't cutting off a lot :smile: I usually in for trims every 2-3 months. & Also, you should try using some hair products for split ends or even deep condition your hair every week. I usually don't wash my hair for 2-3 days (yeah i know, gross!..i def. do shower everyday tho lmao) but I find my hair really does look longer and healthier when I do that. :smile:

I actually believe trimming your hair will grow faster, the only reason why is because you're getting rid of your dead ends/split ends. If you dont get trims, those ends will grow and grow and become worse. So whenever you do go in for your trim, you will end up having to cut off more than you expected lol. So, if you go for regular trims, get rid of those dead ends! Then it'll seem like your hair is longer, just because whoever isn't cutting off a lot :smile: I usually in for trims every 2-3 months. & Also, you should try using some hair products for split ends or even deep condition your hair every week. I usually don't wash my hair for 2-3 days (yeah i know, gross!..i def. do shower everyday tho lmao) but I find my hair really does look longer and healthier when I do that. :smile:

The "ends" of hair does not grow. Hair grows from the roots. Trimming/cutting your hair has no affect on the life cycle of hair shaft. Technically speaking, trimming your hair makes it shorter and the only benefit to regular trimming, is healthier hair (if your removing damaged ends). If you want longer hair, regular trimming is not the answer.

Last edited:
The "ends" of hair does not grow. Hair grows from the roots. Trimming/cutting your hair has no affect on the life cycle of hair shaft. Technically speaking, trimming your hair makes it shorter and the only benefit to regular trimming, is healthier hair (if your removing damaged ends). If you want longer hair, regular trimming is not the answer.

I think she means like the split end 'travels' so to speak, and so it makes your hair look worse. What starts out as a tiny split end moves upwards and eventually the hair breaks off because it's too weak.