Does everyone get offers that are just ridiculous...

stylefly

Shopportunist
O.G.
Apr 22, 2006
Like, ALL THE TIME? I'm beginning to wonder if it's me. As I run a consignment business I have a fair amount of listings going at a time. Out of, say, 10 Fixed Price/Best Offer listings, I *might* get one reasonable offer and 10-15 screwball offers for the rest. For example, one item I'm selling retails at $1800. I have it listed at $1400. I have received no offers higher than $200. Am I doing something wrong or is this Ebay lately? I've been selling there since '99 and I don't remember it being THIS pathetic...I wonder if I should add something in my listings specifying a number under which I won't consider offers? What do you guys do?
Does anyone actually think they're going to get an $1800 item for $200? Or are they purposely wasting time? This is what I'm thinking about today...:confused1:

I think people are just messing about. Out of curiosity I sometimes look at the level of offers on auctions I am watching after they end and I am horrified at how low some are. I think they should make it offers between x and y cos it really is a waste of time....

I haven't but I think that there are nuts that test the waters and waste your time with insulting offers. I'd never do that to a seller however I also think that it's a sign of the times. Sales aren't what they used to be and some outrageous offers are sometimes accepted.

With best offer auctions, I usually set to automatically decline offers lower than the minimum price I can accept. This way it saves a lot of hassle!

I do the same thing. That way I don't have to waste my time dealing with all of the 'ridiculous' offers! It's a really great feature IMO>

See I wouldn't offer $60.00, but I will lowball it maybe offer $750 on a $1200 listing, I figure why not try and get a deal, but also that the seller is open to offers that's why they chose to allow "best offers"

as a buyer, when i send a seller my best offer i usually try to be reasonable. depending on the item, i might ask $100 less or so. i know theyre out to make a business so it would be stupid for me to ask for the seller to sell me something that costs 1400 at 60 (your example above).

i dunno, i treat my sellers as how i like to be treated: with respect.

That happened to me a while back when tried to sell my balenciaga bag. It was nearing the end of the auction and someone offered me $50 to take it off my hands! Unbelievable. I'd rather have burned it, lol