Does EBay Allow Sellers to Use Others' Photos and Text?

Sep 1, 2009
I am wondering how that works. I posted an AT request and thankfully, someone realized that the seller was actually using another seller's pictures and their text! And, it was the person they had purchased from and left a neg for! Is it acceptable? I mean, unless a seller kept an eye out for items they have sold, how would they know? It just perturbed me. This item is not likely to be in the exact same shape as when purchased and if it deserved a neg, why would the buyer use the same info? Why wouldn't a seller take their own photos and describe it themselves?

Am I missing something? Makes me very nervous (again) about buying anything at all expensive on EBay.

I hear you!! It perturbs me, too! The ONLY time I am understanding is when then 'new' seller had asked the 'old' seller if they could borrow their photos (but it doesn't sound like that would be the case, here, does it...)

Also, unless sellers opt out of allowing ebay to use their photos in the catalog, then other sellers can copy those photos...

However, with all that being said, the majority of the copied listings I've encountered are copied without permission... I agree with beenburned and noshoepolish - it's ridiculous, & frustrating, & oh-so-typical of evilbay.

Sometimes buyers ask if they can use the pictures and the description to resell the item. Sometimes seller offers that option to a buyer, if the item does not work for the buyer and seller does not accept returns. In other instances, it should be reported.

How does one report them if you are not the original seller?
The one I am referencing, the new seller negged the original seller!
This is the listing I asked about in the AT section

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330872166883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Then I was shown that the original listing was

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16094450881...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=160944508815&_rdc=1

So, the new seller yourhighness01 blatantly used someone else's photos and much of the text! Not only that, but who is to say what condition the bag is now? And, let's face it, she left a neg on the bag she is now praising. Doesn't sit well with me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330872166883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16094450881...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=160944508815&_rdc=1

So, the new seller yourhighness01 blatantly used someone else's photos and much of the text! Not only that, but who is to say what condition the bag is now? And, let's face it, she left a neg on the bag she is now praising. Doesn't sit well with me.

You can't report it. Why don't you email the original seller and point her to the listing. It will be up to her if she wants to report it or not. Frankly, it is not your pictures or description that is being used.

Hmm. Not only is yourhighness01 using someone else's pictures and text, but how do we even know she's reselling the same purchase? She also buys and sells on iOffer (yep, LV!!) using the same ID. This could be a bait and switch.

You can't report it. Why don't you email the original seller and point her to the listing. It will be up to her if she wants to report it or not. Frankly, it is not your pictures or description that is being used.

Oh, I know it is not my photos or text. I am not sure if I should contact the original seller or not. I just was surprised. I would not use someone else's photos or text in a listing of mine. And, it concerned me that the bag I liked might not be in the condition that the photos show.

Now, after reading another post on here, I am so thankful for this site! What if I had bought it and it was not authentic? I am so glad I know I can ask about authenticity on here and get other information, as well. I am thinking I will wait til I can just buy directly from LV. :smile:

You should alert the seller. The seller will make a decision of what she wants to do with that information. I get emails sometimes alerting me that someone is using my pictures and I always appreciate them letting me know/

You should alert the seller. The seller will make a decision of what she wants to do with that information. I get emails sometimes alerting me that someone is using my pictures and I always appreciate them letting me know/

When you do that, does EBay really do anything? If so, then, yes, I would contact the original seller. I am a little nervous cuz I thought EBay did not allow communication unless you are in a transaction or asking about an item. But, if it will help, I will contact them. Thank you!

When you do that, does EBay really do anything? If so, then, yes, I would contact the original seller. I am a little nervous cuz I thought EBay did not allow communication unless you are in a transaction or asking about an item. But, if it will help, I will contact them. Thank you!

If the seller reports it, yes, Ebay may do something about. When I reported sellers that stole my pictures, their listing was always taken down.

I hear you!! It perturbs me, too! The ONLY time I am understanding is when then 'new' seller had asked the 'old' seller if they could borrow their photos (but it doesn't sound like that would be the case, here, does it...)

Also, unless sellers opt out of allowing ebay to use their photos in the catalog, then other sellers can copy those photos...

However, with all that being said, the majority of the copied listings I've encountered are copied without permission... I agree with beenburned and noshoepolish - it's ridiculous, & frustrating, & oh-so-typical of evilbay.

I have to say... SOME sellers are a bit OVER the top about photos.....

My husband bought a guitar Pickup for my daughters guitar...
It ended up not being the correct one for some reason.... and not all of the info about the color of the pickup was listed.....

So, my husband decided instead of bothering his seller about this,
he would just list it and sell it again on ebay.....
He wrote and asked the seller if he could use one of the photos for his listing
since it was a very good photo....

The seller said... NO... now, mind you.... this is not a mass produced item
and that photo is ONLY good for this ONE pickup.....
My husband asked in a very polite manner.... and this seller was RUDE about it.....
NOT a smart move since he was less that forthcoming on the actual color and
details..... and should have been GRATEFUL, being my husband was not
going to make it that sellers problem....
and WAS planning on giving the seller 5 stars and Positive FeedBack....
(I am sure he still will give him a pos... )

In my opinion that is a little over the top....

I mean it is fine to say no.....
BUT, they can at least be polite about it......

I have to say... SOME sellers are a bit OVER the top about photos.....

My husband bought a guitar Pickup for my daughters guitar...
It ended up not being the correct one for some reason.... and not all of the info about the color of the pickup was listed.....

So, my husband decided instead of bothering his seller about this,
he would just list it and sell it again on ebay.....
He wrote and asked the seller if he could use one of the photos for his listing
since it was a very good photo....

The seller said... NO... now, mind you.... this is not a mass produced item
and that photo is ONLY good for this ONE pickup.....
My husband asked in a very polite manner.... and this seller was RUDE about it.....
NOT a smart move since he was less that forthcoming on the actual color and
details..... and should have been GRATEFUL, being my husband was not
going to make it that sellers problem....
and WAS planning on giving the seller 5 stars and Positive FeedBack....
(I am sure he still will give him a pos... )

In my opinion that is a little over the top....

I mean it is fine to say no.....
BUT, they can at least be polite about it......

Reusing photos is wrong because the condition of the item can vary, regardless if it was used or not, i.e., shipping damages, damaged while attempting to install, etc.

Just my 2¢.