Does Coach fix sealant issues?

Aug 24, 2009
Here's the deal..

A few weeks ago I bought a purse that is older (2006-2007). I loved it, and according to the seller, the bag was in great shape. This proved to be less than true and it does have some moderate sealant issues around the rings. When I say moderate, I mean the sealant has completely peeled away about a quarter of an inch on one ring with the immanent potential to peel more.

I'm not a DIYer at all. I don't want to mess with the sealant, because lets face it, I'd just make it worse. However, I'd really like to have the bag fixed...I want to use the bag, love it and enjoy it...I don't want to constantly live in fear that the moderate sealant issue is going to get worse and worse and eventually render the bag useless.

I have the option of bringing it to a leather-smith of course...and that's entirely viable if I knew of a good one--which I don't. But I'd like to explore the Coach option first.

1. Will Coach work on a bag that is 5+ years old?

2. Will Coach trash my bag...as in, deem it unrepairable and throw it away issuing me a credit letter? (This is honestly, my greatest fear...I'd soon live with bad sealant.)

3. I am not the first owner of the bag, this I'm certain of...am I the third or fourth or fifth? I don't know. Does this matter?

TIA...I'm really stuck here on what to do, and I'd love to have at least the information to make a decision!

Nope they don't mess with sealant issues. I would just bring it to someone who can fix it or attempt to make it look better if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

Personally I would just attempt to tackle it myself. I mean how much worse can it look? Any attempt with a steady hand with the sealant would look much better than it probably looks now. At best you would probably be out of what $10.

Fiebings Edge Kote is what the ladies on here recommended.

It is really pointless to take it into Coach unless you want 40% off. As of the past year or so, any bag over about 1.5/2 years old is considered "old," which is beyond their warranty period, so you will not get a credit letter. You will get a 40% off letter. They cannot and will not try to fix sealants.

To answer your questions:

1. They will, but only for things requiring sewing & stitching. They cant warranty any other type of repair (sealants), so they don't even try.

2. No. The only one that is automatically trashed (that I know of right now) is Carly, because that has a standing order of "defective bag."

3. It wouldn't matter if it were something they could fix. The warranty carries over. But like I (and others - try searching "sealants" because there are a number of threads on it) have said, Coach can't & won't fix it.

So if you are interested in any newer bags, I say go ahead & send it in, because you are guaranteed to get a 40% off letter! Just take the hangtag off before doing so! They'll send the bag back with the letter.

I've always heard you don't get the bag back. I love my bag that has these issues so I have never done anything about it for fear I wouldn't get it back. It's my light grey Sabrina and the sealant cracked on the handle.

On a side note, I have purchased the Edge Kote, and it seems pretty foolproof. Haven't tried it yet, though. There are a couple of threads on that, and oopsididitagain posted her success before/after photos with instructions.

If you don't want to do it, just try calling around to any shoe repair shop, and let them try ONE of the sealants & come to look at it. If you like what they did, let them do the other ones.... It probably won't cost very much, from what I've read on the forum... seriously, search "sealants" & you'll find a ton of info!! :biggrin:

I've always heard you don't get the bag back. I love my bag that has these issues so I have never done anything about it for fear I wouldn't get it back. It's my light grey Sabrina and the sealant cracked on the handle.

I got mine back, and so did my mother. This was this past summer, and they were sent in for sealant issues on 2006 Legacy bags.

Still haven't used that 40% off letter, either!

I just called my local FP store...I spoke with the manager, she flat out told me she wouldn't work with me. Not even an offer to bring the bag in and look at it. Nope. She told me to take it to a shoe cobbler.