Does Classic Flap worth 6 months of no fun life?

Apr 13, 2009
I need your opinions.
I am dreaming about classic Chanel flap GH for over a year now... But I just can't save up given my income and constant price increases. The only feasible option for me is to go on a complete shopping ban for 6-7 months. And I mean complete complete ban - not even a new lipstick... So it will be a NO fun 6 months! Does it worth it? Or should I postpone this purchase and keep dreaming until I will be better off financially and it will be easier to save?

Have you thought of a pre-loved? I think all the saving up is worth while.

I've thought about pre owned, but since it's so hard for me to save up for either one, and most likely I will not buy another Chanel bag for a veeery long time - I feel that a new one from the store + the whole experience will bring me way more joy, so I am ready to pay extra for that.

If a Chanel really is what you want and if it's your HG bag, I'd start saving for it.
But maybe you can make your ban a bit easier to make it a one year saving plan for example. Then you can still buy a little something every month or use the money for something else which makes it easier to save for the Chanel ;).
And, have you considered to sell some of the things you don't use? Maybe that will help too :smile:.

I like **Chanel**'s suggestion. If trying to meet your goal in 6 months would mean no additonal spending at all, maybe you can stretch out your saving plan. This way it allows you to still have a little treat here & there.

I feel bad that you need to make this kind of decision :sad: hopefully you find a way to get your dream bag!
where do you live? if in europe, I would suggest to look at vintage paris-website where there's basic black flaps and you would save a little over €1k from current prices!

^^ITA! Try giving yourself a certain amount of allowance for certain things you would like (small purchases of course) and try cutting back on other luxuries. Like make food at home in order to get your lipstick...I hope I'm making some sense lol.
Anyways, in my opinion, If you really like it, I think it is worth it.

I think it's worth it.

You can get Chanel bags for 15 to 20% off if you open an account at Bloomingdale. My dear husband just bough a JUMBO classic flap or me and I just got the Large size for my mom this way. It's more than $1000 saving!!!

Wait. Life is too short to force yourself to have no fun or enjoyment for 6-7 months just for a handbag....IMO : )

ITA, I know the forum can make many of us want lots of styles when the selections are constantly posted but, in lieu of our entire lfe and being in the here-and-now, NO! It sound pain staking. Perhaps later when your life situation changes.

Maybe you can sell another bags and go for it! I dreamed about chanel but thought it's too expensive and bought still "only" Chloe or Balenciaga handbags. Then with the last price increase I woke up and said: you dream so long of Chanel, if you don't buy it now then never! So I decided to sell some of my bags and bought my first Chanel!:yahoo: Now I sold so much bags and other designer stuff, that I bought another Chanel bag and some other pieces from Chanel. Wish you all the best with your decision ;)

Thanks for everyone's input! I am not sure I can commit to be on a saving plan for a year. It just seems way too long for me to save for a bag. I don't have much to sell either... I guess maybe I should follow the advice and just keep dreaming until better time... But TPF is sooo tempting, and seeing all pictures turn simple wish to get a new purse in a whole obsession.
But please keep your opinions coming! I love to know what you think!

Tough one. I don't know if it's worth it. Chanel is a style, one declining in quality, increasing in price. You can look good without the Chanel purse IMO. It's an expensive purse whether you have to save 6 months or not. Will it match my lifestyle? Does it have to? For 4 grand? I always ask myself all those questions. If all the answers are no and you still like it, get it...

Good luck deciding.

Last edited: