Does Chanel ever change/update the Classic Flap bag?

Heysexy

Dec 9, 2016
Hey guys. Thinking of getting this classic flap bag hoping that it never goes out of style. My only worry is that in a few years time Chanel will change the design/pattern of the classic flap? Have they done it before with the classic flap?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 1,590
This is why it's a "classic". You might see slight variations of leather texture, colors and embellishments. The black caviar and lamb are here to stay. It's the most sought after bag. I would compare if you want this style compared to the reissue. Best of luck on your decision.

Reactions: PurseCrazyGal
No. Any changes that have been made over the years inside really. Like the Jumbos going from Single Flaps to double, and the Caviar bags changing from black linings to have the classic burgundy lining like the lambskin. These changes only made the design even more true to the original. The "Reissue" however is the ORIGINAL Coco Chanel 2.55. Both are forever classic. :heart:

Reactions: tolliv and squidgee
This is why it's a "classic". You might see slight variations of leather texture, colors and embellishments. The black caviar and lamb are here to stay. It's the most sought after bag. I would compare if you want this style compared to the reissue. Best of luck on your decision.

Your spot on here!
This bags has been in style for over 60yrs!! [emoji7]

Basically a staple bag for most Chanel lovers! It's a classic that never goes outta style! [emoji173]️

No, I wouldn't worry even a teeny but about your bag going out of style. But, yes, there have been some changes and variations. Here are the ones I'm aware of but some true Chanel experts / historians can weigh in with better information.

• Variations of material (caviar, lamb, python, velvet, etc.)
• Variations in quilting (diamond, chevron, straight line [I'm not sure what this quilting pattern is called] etc.)
• Single flap and double flap
• Interior matching the exterior color, a coordinating color or burgundy
• Additions of items to the chains or body of the bag (pom pons, ribbons, charms, etc.)
• Different style of chains (2 different bijoux, mademoiselle, etc. )
• Variations in the size of the double CC's used
• Sometimes the flap has been a little longer or shorter (reaching down further over the front of the bag or to a lesser extent)

And I think the flap shape and detail has varied. For example, the Diana classic flap's flap is different from today's classic flap's flap. (Someone clairify if the Diana is considered a regular classic flap or a different model of Chanel bag please)

But in every iteration the bag has still looked like a classic flap - no confusion on what the bag is at all. And from what I've seen every iteration is coveted and seen as timeless. Sometimes the bags that were only out for a year are some of the most desired. Now, I'm sure there is some limited edition that is universally disliked but I haven't heard of it.

So, IMHO, classic flaps never go out of style and never change enough to have your chosen bag be an outlier that looks dated. I think all of Chanel-dom would rain down curses of frogs on Karl if he (or his successor) tried to meaningfully change the classic flap. :lol: The bags are amazing, "classic" and you can never go wrong with buying or owning one.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Thinking of getting this classic flap bag hoping that it never goes out of style. My only worry is that in a few years time Chanel will change the design/pattern of the classic flap? Have they done it before with the classic flap?
I always think classics will be around but in a few weeks will be introducing Classic M/L and Jumbo in caviar with no quilts called "pure" which I read from another poster.
The color will be "nude" which looks on the pink side to me. Anyone that see's this version first please post a pic! I already showed photo on a "prototype" model. I don't think so.........looks like a plain jane to me.:amazed::hrmm::shocked:

Reactions: tolliv
No, I wouldn't worry even a teeny but about your bag going out of style. But, yes, there have been some changes and variations. Here are the ones I'm aware of but some true Chanel experts / historians can weigh in with better information.

• Variations of material (caviar, lamb, python, velvet, etc.)
• Variations in quilting (diamond, chevron, straight line [I'm not sure what this quilting pattern is called] etc.)
• Single flap and double flap
• Interior matching the exterior color, a coordinating color or burgundy
• Additions of items to the chains or body of the bag (pom pons, ribbons, charms, etc.)
• Different style of chains (2 different bijoux, mademoiselle, etc. )
• Variations in the size of the double CC's used
• Sometimes the flap has been a little longer or shorter (reaching down further over the front of the bag or to a lesser extent)

And I think the flap shape and detail has varied. For example, the Diana classic flap's flap is different from today's classic flap's flap. (Someone clairify if the Diana is considered a regular classic flap or a different model of Chanel bag please)

But in every iteration the bag has still looked like a classic flap - no confusion on what the bag is at all. And from what I've seen every iteration is coveted and seen as timeless. Sometimes the bags that were only out for a year are some of the most desired. Now, I'm sure there is some limited edition that is universally disliked but I haven't heard of it.

So, IMHO, classic flaps never go out of style and never change enough to have your chosen bag be an outlier that looks dated. I think all of Chanel-dom would rain down curses of frogs on Karl if he (or his successor) tried to meaningfully change the classic flap. :lol: The bags are amazing, "classic" and you can never go wrong with buying or owning one.
Very excellent response. I couldn't have said it better myself - except that pre- 2006, chains on the classic Jumbo are thicker and longer. :smile:

Well, I guess the biggest change I would say for the "classic" Chanel bag is what Karl Lagerfeld did in the 80's. To me the true "classic" Chanel bag is the Reissue because it came first, and Karl modified it in the 1980s into what we now call the "Classic" with the CC turnlock! But that's just me being pedantic. :P

Whatever you prefer, agree to what everyone else has said in this thread, I wouldn't worry one iota over the staying power of this bag. There may be some slight variations over time, but the core structure and details (quilting, double flaps, chain handles, etc.) will stay for a long while yet.

I always think classics will be around but in a few weeks will be introducing Classic M/L and Jumbo in caviar with no quilts called "pure" which I read from another poster.
The color will be "nude" which looks on the pink side to me. Anyone that see's this version first please post a pic! I already showed photo on a "prototype" model. I don't think so.........looks like a plain jane to me.:amazed::hrmm::shocked:
yea. I saw this on another thread and was kinda horrified. It looked "wrong". But I think the phot was just of a prototype and maybe I just need to get used to it. :hrmm:

Reactions: whiteswan1010
There have certainly been slight variations over the years, materials change and possibly even the patterns used to put the bags together (if you ever look at how they actually build the bags). But the base design of a classic flap is always there and I would not expect that to every be lost. That being said, look at a basic black lamb classic flap with gold hardware from the 90's vs a new one, you will be able to see what I mean, slightly different versions but the design base is still the same.