Does buying an expensive makeup brush really make a difference?

anyone tried brushes from body shop?

I was using their eyeshadow brush for a while. It never seemed to actually function so I converted it to a lip brush. But ultimately I don't use lip brushes much and my chanel liners have a built in brush, so I tossed it. What I don't understand is how the Body Shop advertises their brushes as "award winning". They won an award??? It's seriously the worst brush I have ever used.

BTW, would love to hear opinions on what to apply wet-to-dry foundation with. I am using a sponge applicator because my brushes don't seem to hold the foundation. I'm thinking this is pretty normal for WTD. Ladies??? Anyone else using a WTD foundation? (I was using Chanel but have since switched to Cargo.)

Thanks girls for your replies.. really useful info.

purly yea that is the reason why I am asking. Seems like most of the recommendations tend to lead towards MAC and I heard that body shop claimed to have awarding winning ones. Glad you cleared that up for me.

Someone recommended brushes from GO PROFFESIONAL.

Anyone ever hear about that brand?

yes it makes a difference...
there's a very special and intricate craft that goes into brush making. the cut of the hair, angle of the cut/shape, density, and type of hair is really important... so yes, i think it makes a BIG difference!

i think MAC is the best!

Thanks girls for your replies.. really useful info.

purly yea that is the reason why I am asking. Seems like most of the recommendations tend to lead towards MAC and I heard that body shop claimed to have awarding winning ones. Glad you cleared that up for me.

Someone recommended brushes from GO PROFFESIONAL.

Anyone ever hear about that brand?

Never heard of Go Professional, but the best brushes in the biz are widely known to be Shu Uemura brushes. If you want the best, Shu Uemura is where it's at. Chanel makes really good professional quality brushes that are somewhat cheaper, which is why I use them.

I don't buy cheap brushes b/c I can't be sure what they are made of. i use all Origins brushes. Which they claim is 100% synthetic. I don't want to be applying makeup with rodent hair.

I've got a lot from sephora and BE, but, the Ulta ones really aren't that bad (and, sometimes, you can get them for 20% off, or, buy one get one half-off). And, even w/o a discount, Ulta is normally cheaper than Sephora. Also, at Ulta, I found some really cheap really nice feeling brushes, over by their lower end make-up (Revlon, Rimmell and the likes). It's something like Japanese or something like that, and, those brushes feel really nice!!

Also, NEVER, EVER use a sponge!!! A sponge soaks up a ton of un-used make-up, so, their wasteful. Also, a sponge is just spreading your face's bacteria all over itself day after day, so, it's very un-hygenic!

I would think as long as you didn't use the same sponge for like months on end, then it would probably be okay. I think I remember reading in a magazine somewhere to toss your sponges out every week, or every couple of days, depending on how much you use them.

Personally I love sponges, so I buy the big bulk packs and then just toss them every 2-3 days after I've used them. Been doing it for years and haven't had a problem yet. :shrugs:

I don't think that 1 brand has all the best brushes.

Brushes are cut differently with different type of bristles for makeup application.

For powder, you would want a brush that can pick up powder easily and is soft enough.

For blush, you would need a slightly firmer tapered one that allows easy blending and contouring.

For eyeshadow, there are different types depending on whether you are contouring or shading or wateva.... Or you can use your fingers. I have a makeup artist friend who can manage with just q-tips and fingers.

For eyeliner, you need a firm thin brush with synthetic fibres.

And so and so forth... I buy my brushes with natural hair, and pick those that keep their shape well. I only get synthetic ones for liner, brow and lip brushes. Some good ones that I like:

Blush: Laura Mercier
Eye shadow: Trish McEvoy, Bobbi Brown
Liner: Stila, Smashbox
Lip: Fancl

The best loose powder brush I've ever used is a no brand brush (there is no brand on it) that is way cheap in price. So it really depends. If you find something that works, price does not matter. And again, you don't have to buy all your brushes from 1 brand.

HTH!

I would say yes, the pricier ones make a difference. I have a $30 kabuki brush by Benefit that I bought about 2-3 years ago, and I can't stand using any other brush for my base and powder! A good brush is a worthwhile investment... I certainly feel as though I've gotten my money's worth out of mine!