Does buying an expensive makeup brush really make a difference?

I have a MAC 129 brush that I've paid $30 for that I've had for about 5 or 6 years, it's still in good shape. I've had other brushes that I bought from Target, and they broke within months.

LOL... I actually said, WTF out loud when I read your April Fools posts.:lol: I totally forgot it was the 1st.

To me, expensive brushes are totally worth it. They feel amazing, and you get better application. Sure, you can duplicate a look with cheap brushes, but it will take longer and it won't feel as good.

Sephora brand brushes that come in the holiday sets are on par with my MAC brushes- you just need to feel them in person. Well worth the $35 or so for 7 brushes.

Sponges are good, but they get to be a hassle since you constantly need to wash them and replace them (generally, the smaller the pore, the smoother the application, but it's not always the case). I also use my fingers for flawless liquid application (they are your best beauty tools!).

I think that expensive make up brushes usually just tend to last longer and apply make up more evenly, etc. I personally use MAC brushes, Bare Essentials, Tarte, and Benefit. And I have noticed a difference versus the cheapie brushes that I used to use when I first started playing with make up.

Although I do agree that if you do a little digging, you can find well made and cheaper alternatives.

LOOOOL that was entertaining :roflmfao:.

Seriously cat hair? Hmm... wouldn't have even though of that hehe.

What are most of the brushes made from anyway?

What is the mac 187 brush used for?

Ill look into sponges. I heard somewhere that the smaller the pores of the sponge the better they are supposed to be. Has anyone heard of that as well?

Thanks by the way girls for the replies:flowers::flowers: I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.
I'm glad you were entertained... I was just like "Oh geez, what are they doing?!" I need some new friends! :shame: LOL

Brushes can be made of pony hair, squirrel, goat, badger, melamine, acrylic, nylon, taklon. If you're concerned about animal cruelty, I recommend Urban Decay brushes, which are all 100% synthetic, but soft and high quality.

With sponges, the reason you don't want "large pores" for foundation, is because it will absorb a ton of product, which is wasteful. I've tried other sponges though, that are too smooth, almost poreless, and they don't blend as well. It's kind of a matter of preference. I buy "Wonder Wedges" from the local pharmacy or Walmart and they work really well...

+ Blue Star - by broke what do you mean? Did the hairs fall out?

+ Demosthenes - I was told that using fingers dont give a smooth finish, especially if you dont rub the foundation in the right direction. That is why I thought of getting brushes. I could have heard wrong info though.

OMG you guys crack me up...I was reading this and thinking what in the world....I had visions of you guys scooping up various animal hair and pasting it on a stick or something! I am clearly having a blonde moment. Even if it is a fake blonde one!

I use Bobbi Brown, MAC, Chanel and a few other random brushes, but have heard good things about the Sonia K ones at Target.

+ Divyaangana - Thanks for listing a few other brands that sell good brushes, as the ones I keep hearing about tend to be Mac, and it would be nice to look at others.

+ claireZK- i don't mind the brushes being made by animal hair, was just curious. From what you say about sponges looks like you have to find just the right one to give a good finish. It makes it seem like brushes are the easy way out.

Smashbox brushes are really nice. For cheaper brushes, Sonia Kashuk for Target is good. I also have two Mark Avon brushes that I really like, a concealer brush and a foundation brush that I use for blushes...

+ Demosthenes - I was told that using fingers dont give a smooth finish, especially if you dont rub the foundation in the right direction. That is why I thought of getting brushes. I could have heard wrong info though.

You should apply it radiating out from the center of your face and working with the contours of your face. The heat of your fingertips will melt the foundation into your skin, so it ends up flawless with a minimal amount of product.

Brushes are much faster and easier. You should definitely get brushes no matter what, but if you have the time, try your fingers and experiment until you find a technique that works for you and your foundation.

+ Blue Star - by broke what do you mean? Did the hairs fall out?

Where the handle connects to the brushes, that top part where the brushes are connected, fell off.

I'd say yes. Expensive brushes normally use sable hair (never heard of cat hair lol) and it's got the right angles/shapes to do the job.
The cheap ones i've experienced were stiff and the the brushs' hair falls all over my face.
I believe in you get what you pay for.

Happy April Fool's Day everyone!!! Sorry for the hijack Charisma! :flowers:Just foolin' with our favorite ClaireBear. :love: Carry on!

And don't try Hog's hair makeup brushes! :lol:

haha - I was reading through & then I was like wtf?? good one!

As far as brushes, I have a mix of expensive & not - I find myself mostly reaching for the not expensive ones. I go by how the brush feels against my skin & if it sheds - I despise brush hair falling out on my face. My pricier brushes are no better than my cheaper sephora ones. I only use them for the eyes & blush/bronzer though, not foundation.

o.k. I was so grossed out by the cat hair thing? Glad it is a joke.

Check youtube "EnKore". He is a good make up artist and has a video where he compares MAC brushes and finds a Loew Cornell alternative (from the craft store-Michaels). He has so many useful tutorials. I think you should consider it.

At first I thought the cat hair thing was gross too, but if you think about it... Sable and mink brushes usually come from weasels.... Is weasel or squirrel hair really less gross than cat hair :shrugs: