Does babying your bag ruining your enjoyment ?

When I recieved my first LV as a gift from my mom (a brown canvas Antigua) she SPECIFICALLY told me:

"Don't baby it, and carry it as if it's a luxury item. I want you to use it daily, but don't baby it!"

She kept on saying that, but for the first 2 weeks I was AFRAID of ANYTHING coming near my bag! I was a sad sad obsessive complusive person just like you. Until one day I realized...Seriously Rena...It's just a BAG!

My Antigua will be 3 this year, and it's still strong. :smile:
It's stained here and there but I clean it once and a while and it still looks great!
Now I appriciate this bag more and more because of its quality: you know it's worth the bucks when it can be thrown around and still hold up.

Viva LV!
(I still love you my baby Antigua! :heart:)

This is great advice. I take good care of my bags, but I don't get crazy about it. It really stresses me out to read about how some people baby their bags here and makes me feel bad for husbands, kids, etc. who are on the receiving end. (Not referring to the OP in this thread. I've seen some crazy stories posted by others here.)

Ya know, I was the same way for my first LV. But what's weird is that the lining seem to have fixed itself. I got everything from black marks from my leather jacket to water stains and they all faded on their own. I don't know, I don't treat my bags or anything. Maybe they aren't as frail as they appear to be. So, now I don't baby them as much and I figure every mark and stain gives the bag character and really as the leather patinas the stains and marks tend to fade.

I would think it would. And yes I throw them around Put them over my hair when it rains. I do not like my hair getting wet. I put on floor I do not care. They are not my babies they are my purse. Though I love designer bags it is still my bag, so enjoy. I would not be so rough with an exotic or Hermes though. I have my limits. But Hermes does have a spa.

My husband "bought me" (even though we share money) the speedy 30 for xmas (my first LV) and he gets mad when I baby it. he says just enjoy it. and i look forward to vachetta because I think it almost looks fake being so new. I was at Sam's Club earlier and I was like "am I just going to put this in the cart and let it touch all the germs in the carriage" haha but then i came to my senses and realized that was ridiculous. I say enjoy it! if anything, it will just gain more character.

Hmmm.....I think that (in relation to the regular line LV), since LV is originally a travel company, they produce tough "everyday" bags that are meant to be used and last a really long time. And they will, if you take good care of them! But I think that "taking care" of bags should only go to a certain extent.....most of the time accidents just cannot be prevented, and just like a lot of things in life, sometimes you can never predict what will happen, you just have to go with the flow and deal with things as they come.....not sweat the small stuff. (like, Take care of the vachetta and watch out for it, but try not to get too upset if there is a spill or stain!) This is the way I feel about all of my bags......in the end, they are still just bags, even if they are costly.:shrugs:;)

i think i need to baby my bags a little bit more. i was operating on the thought that if i baby it TOO much its going to get dirty out of spite. if i just enjoy my bag worry free, i'll love it even more. of course this was before i had color transfer on my beige tahitienne lol.

Hehe so sorry I can't help u because I could use the advice! I like to 'collect' LV items and keep them perfect and pristine...I've only used my speedy azur once! And I haven't even used my Galliera yet once! Baah must-get-over-this! LOL

Hmm, maybe I'll start offering seminars...the nature of my life keeps me from babying my bags, so I had to get over this quickly! My son plays varsity basketball and is part of a club team. The amount of time I spend in a gym, in a car and in "affordable" hotels when they travel helped me get over the babying the bag thing pretty quickly. Otherwise, my bags would sit in their dustbags not be used. The classic irony that I will never forget is that I debuted by Keepall 55 at the Motel 6 in Vista, CA. I'm team mom, so I've gotta roll with it! :smile: About the only thing I try to be mindful of is the bags not getting unnecessarily scratched up.

i wouldn't say babying my bags ruins my enjoyment. i admit, my bags never touch the floor (do u know what u can culture off the bottom of a bag that continually touches the floor? it's worse than a toilet...as one of my friends once sent me a study done...) and i tend to cover/stick my bags up my shirt/under my coat, etc. in the rain or snow. no wet or dirty hands, and i tend to avoid lotion in my palms...but it gives me joy to keep my bags well. i have a hard time breakin in new bags, but once i get over the first initial carrys, i'm much better. dh understands my obsession with keepin my bags lookin good (patina or not) cuz i've been able to sell the bags i don't use as a great return - all because they still looked good! i'm prob most careful with my mizi since she's my fave and no longer available!

Yes, I do baby my LVs until a somthing small happens to it like and then I can use it with more ease. That is the main reason why I hate buying brand new from the store. I tend to try to find it like new condition and don't feel so bad because minor flaws tend to be on it already.

I hate anyone touching any of my LVs and I baby wipe them all the time which also causes a faster patina on the vachetta but I just can't help it.