Does anyone work in a collection agency?

Also, the collector asked me what I wanted to do, and I told him that I wanted to seek out legal advice because I don't find it legitimate. The fact that paypal is getting you after me yet you have NO FACTS other than the numbers I owe you. I'm not going to send some check to some address I'm not even sure of. But the chance that they are a real institution he said he was giving me till Friday to contact him back...

I really do not want to ruin my credit. I'm young and I've been working really hard in building it up...

Can they still ruin my credit without my SIN?

I am suspicious. First of all, is this your debt? I wasn't sure from your posts if it was. I have a popular name and there is someone else in San Francisco with the same name who has terrible credit. I have gotten calls in the past from collection agencies claiming that I owe them money but they were actually looking for the other person with the same name.

I'd ask for confirmation in writing from them on company letterhead what it is you owe them and which account it is about. Otherwise I wouldn't send any money until you have paperwork in hand.