Workplace Does anyone work from home? What do you do?

In my previous job, I had the option to work from home but preferred going into the office most days. I was technical recruiter for an agency that had numerous top telecommunications clients in the US.

From what I saw, there are a lot of work from home recruiter opportunities out there.

What are her skills, experience and work background?

I'm a consultant and my employer's consulting staff work from home except when required to be on site at a client's workplace, which varies by client. Sometimes it's never and sometimes it's 4-5 days/week for part of the duration of the project. My colleagues and I have a minimum of 10-15 years of work experience in our specialization so that's how our telecommuting is successful for our employer and clients. We're not doing a whole lot of continuous learning on the job.

Agree with xikry5talix above that there are many telecommuting jobs available for recruiters and sourcers (those who perform detailed online searches to identify potential candidates for jobs and usually are not involved with talking with candidates). But most of these positions require prior work experience in the field first.

There are also a few threads in this section on work from home opportunities. Customer call center work seems to also offer work from home opportunities. Things like customer service, airline reservations, travel sales. Also listed was mystery shopping but I don't know how lucrative that can be overall.

There are scams out there that require money up front and don't deliver job lists or leads so she should watch out for these.

I am a junior member in a management and tech consulting firm, and we normally work on client site when on projects, but since my client is located far away from the city, I have the option of working remotely from the office or at home.

My team members all work from home, but even for my company its not common to work from home since most client sites are within city

I work in the banking/finance industry and am currently a risk management consultant ..... In all of my previous positions I wasn't able to. I also have over 10 years in the business (8 w/ my current company). working from home is great and convienent but honestly I work wayyyyy more /harder than when I'm in the office environment.

Reactions: Sky035
I work in the entertainment industry and I work primarily from home aside from client meetings & staff meetings. I work in media services -- on the production & post production side. Honestly, while it's super convenient to work from home, it can be pretty quiet and it's difficult to separate on work and off work because you're always in the same environment -- at home. I miss having human interaction! Haha. I should also note that I'm pretty young (in my 20s) so my experience may be different.

I am about to start my own pet care business that will allow me to work from home. I hope to focus mostly on letting pets out for a break while their owners work all day, but will be doing some pet sitting when people leave town as well.

Blogger? But you have to build a decent amount of followers. You can get free stuff to advertise, and get a cut of the sale if a follower clicks on a link to the product page and makes a purchase (called referral links). Additionally, if companies place ads on your website, you may get a financial incentive.

Many bloggers earn 6 figures for just blogging. I've heard it's hard work as they need to look good, have enticing photos, and essentially sell their brand/website.