Does anyone think it's inappropriate for the pope...

1. To wear Gucci sunglasses, Prada loafers, and an iPod? :oh: I don't know, maybe somebody can come up with a legitimately good reason why it's acceptable for a pope to care about these kind of material things (I can rationalize an iPod, can't for his love of designer duds).

This is *not* a criticism to Catholicism, I spent several years of my childhood at a Catholic church. Just a disclaimer. :amuse:

2. Maybe they were gifts, and he dosent know the difference? :smile:

3. i think it's inappropriate...isn't one of the things you do when you become a priest take a vow of poverty? gucci sunglasses aren't exactly poverty...but neither is a mercedes popemobile (i may be mistaken, but i think it's a benz). wouldn't the money be better used to help the poor? i dunno, maybe i'm out of line (wouldn't be the first time, lol).

4. Man, when I think about giving a gift to the pope, I think about giving him a rare or early-edition copy of a book he loves... heck! Even a box of chocolates!

But "Holy Father, please enjoy these $500 Italian loafers?"

5. I'm not sure about inappropriate, but I think it's kinda strange. Funny, too :lol: I'm imagining the Pope jamming out to his iPod, while wearing the Gucci sunglasses :lol:

I guess I think it's a little strange because clergy live such humble lives, it does seem weird for the Pope to care about material things.

6. Yeah, I guess I haven't been a fan of this pope from the get-go. Oh well! Can't win 'em all.

7. But "Holy Father, please enjoy these $500 Italian loafers?"[/quote]

:lol: LMAO:lol: :lol: :lol: :biggrin:

8. I find it sweet. If I can enjoy something nice- without falling into the trap of materialism, than why can't the Pope?

9. I think it's fine. My father, who grew up poor, always said "buy quality - because it lasts longer." And I'm sure that's part of what attracts many of us to high-end goods. If you amortize the cost of a "luxury" item over its lifetime, in many cases it's probably equivalent to a number of similar discount items.

Also, remember that the Pope lives in Vatican City, which is surrounded by Italy. Gucci and Prada are just the local vendors. I suspect that almost everything he owns has been a gift, and perhaps even from the company or craftsperson who made the item.

As for the popemobile, a big part of that is a safety issue. Besides, who'd want the Pope to be driving around in a 1971 Ford Pinto that was subject to breakdowns?

10. Well, he is in Italy and he is wearing Italian brands. I don't think it's a big deal.

11. I would imagine they are gifts from loving members of the church,this pope has a very loyal following. But, not all priests have to take the vow of poverty, depends on the order they belong to. I am Catholic,and I knew a priest that drove a sports car . He seemed to be very interested in helping the poor,he just liked a nice ride. Just depends,I guess.

12. That pair of loafers looked great on him. Just because he is a Pope doesn't mean he can't wear certain things.

To us maybe Gucci & Prada means something but to him it could be just things.

13. I agree that Gucci, Prada and other Italian brands may not be as big of a deal in Italy as they are elsewhere. I am fine with the pope wearing those brands. I also think it may be one of the PR strategies for the Vetican City - haven't they been accused of being out of touch and falling behind?

14. AgreeeE..! n maybe the ipod is filled w church-songs such as agnus dei & sanctus :amuse: ? i think its definetely fine.

but cant deny that :
    But "Holy Father, please enjoy these $500 Italian loafers?"[/quote]
    is really funny :lol: lol.

15. I dunno....the Pope was stylin' in those red Prada shoes :lol: .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice