Does anyone regret not having a shoulder strap on their Birkin

Happycantwait

Aug 26, 2019
I LOVE Birkin, but as of yet I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a bag. However, I’m sure I’ll be ready in a year or two. Right now I only carry shoulder bags. I’m wondering if the hand option would end up being a regret for me. I know Kelly has a strap but I don’t care for them, especially because I don’t like top handles with shoulder straps. Plus they look too formal for my lifestyle.

Has anyone gone from being a strictly shoulder bag carrier to hand held in Birkin specifically? How was the adjustmen?

thanks

• Love
Reactions: RT1
Hermès makes plenty of bags with shoulder straps. Research which one will suit your needs and buy it.

if you want to buy a Birkin because of it’s ultimate holy grail status, buy the bag and accept that it does not have (and never should have) a shoulder strap,

As I’ve said before, a birkin is the world’s nicest tote bag, but it’s still a tote bag.

You might want to research the Lindy. Lindy owners love them.

I LOVE Birkin, but as of yet I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a bag. However, I’m sure I’ll be ready in a year or two. Right now I only carry shoulder bags. I’m wondering if the hand option would end up being a regret for me. I know Kelly has a strap but I don’t care for them, especially because I don’t like top handles with shoulder straps. Plus they look too formal for my lifestyle.

Has anyone gone from being a strictly shoulder bag carrier to hand held in Birkin specifically? How was the adjustmen?

thanks

I've been a shoulder and crossbody bag person for years. Still am however, I don't mind hand carrying my b but I don't use it daily. I switch off. My b25 is lighter. My b35 is much heavier that I hand carry and wear on my arm. It can be a little tiring at times. So depends on which size you'd consider getting and if you are okay with hand carrying. Hope this helps some.

I've been a shoulder and crossbody bag person for years. Still am however, I don't mind hand carrying my b but I don't use it daily. I switch off. My b25 is lighter. My b35 is much heavier that I hand carry and wear on my arm. It can be a little tiring at times. So depends on which size you'd consider getting and if you are okay with hand carrying. Hope this helps some.

Yes it does thanks. I’m not interested in the other bags. I don’t want a Hermes bag, I want a Birkin. I think I would get the 25.

• Love
Reactions: Hermes Zen and RT1
Yes it does thanks. I’m not interested in the other bags. I don’t want a Hermes bag, I want a Birkin. I think I would get the 25.

For some people a B25 will be hand carry only (handles are too small for comfortable carry on the arm unless you have skinny arms and also don’t wear too much stuff on your wrists). If you don’t like hand carry, it’s simply not going to work out as a practical bag no matter how beautiful the bag is...I know someone who decided B25 is not for her due to this (she still owns 30s and 35s that she carries on her arm).

It would be great to see if you can find a way to try one on just to get a feel of it (maybe you know someone who owns one, have a consignment store nearby that may have one you can touch, or even an Hermes store sometimes have models for trying for clients).

Some people hack their bags and add DIY straps to their Birkins...I don’t like those and would not recommend it. Maybe you have to realize that a Birkin is just not your dream bag...your dream bag is a Birkin with shoulder straps and unfortunately that’s not a thing that exists.

Yes. from 2008 Onward. I switched from mainly Chanel shoulder bags and briefly a BBK 28 to a 32 HAC and 30B. I prefer the 30B to the 35B bc of weight and proportion. There was an adjustment, but if you want the bag enough it’s doable. Note: I don’t need to carry a lot of paperwork in my bag. If I need a shoulder tote, I carry a Goyard. There are different bags for different purposes.

• Love
Reactions: Nerja and RT1
No, of course not. A Birkin is a tote as EB said. A shoulder strap on a B is hideous (we've all seen it done).

If you just want a Birkin because it's "a Birkin", but don't want to arm or hand carry a heavy bag, get a Birkin 25. You can say you have a Birkin, but the bag will be small and light. Good luck on your search.

I don’t want a Birkin to say I have a Birkin. I want one because I think it’s beautiful. I have no intention of adding a strap, I don’t want to ruin the aesthetic of the bag. I was asking if carrying one after only using shoulder bags was an adjustment anyone was able to overcome.

As for the Evelyn I really don’t care for them. I appreciate the suggestion though. Just not anything I would want.

I appreciate everyone’s response and if anyone else wants to chime in on the adjustment I’d love to hear it.

• Love
Reactions: RT1
I was asking if carrying one after only using shoulder bags was an adjustment anyone was able to overcome.
Yes. Easily. Especially if you don’t have to carry one for heavy work stuff like laptop or loads of files or long distances Like airports or traveling. b30 is less of an adjustment than B35. IMO issue with B25 is the smaller hand drop and significantly curtailed capacity, but that’s JMO

ITA with @momoc who wrote the following in direct response to your query in a post above (apologies to momoc for my inability/ issues re quoting another TOfer:
@momoc’s quote:
For some people a B25 will be hand carry only (handles are too small for comfortable carry on the arm unless you have skinny arms and also don’t wear too much stuff on your wrists). If you don’t like hand carry, it’s simply not going to work out as a practical bag no matter how beautiful the bag is...I know someone who decided B25 is not for her due to this (she still owns 30s and 35s that she carries on her arm).

[/QUOTE]

I don't carry any particular bag style daily (ie. crossbody, tote, clutch, shoulder). I simply enjoy having each style type in my collection. my thought process in adding a B25 was similar to that of adding a jumbo chanel classic flap or mini lady dior - bags that I adore and quite enjoy the idea of not just rotating the different styles but also rotating how I carry the bag. it is all about enjoyment.

good luck in your B25 journey!

Last edited: