does anyone refuse to ship to Canada?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I'm a very small seller....I've sold a few of my bags and I'm always a bit nervous that something will go wrong. I don't like to bother getting into complicated calculation over shipping charges so I sell with me paying shipping in US.
I have received a question re an item I have for sale asking what would shipping to Canada cost. I can put the bag into a box, weigh it and estimate US Postal priority shipping cost and charge her the difference between that and shipping in US.
But what about customs?
I could go to the post office and find out exactly what it will cost but then I might answer the question and never hear from this person again.

Advice?
I'm thinking I may just say I don't ship to Canada. I'd like to sell the bag but it's not a huge amount of money.

Any customs should/would be the responsibility of the buyer to pay. There's a thread about it here: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...ing-i-pay-her-international-taxes-726221.html

In your reply, you should remind the potential buyer of those fees and point him/her to Ebay's policy at http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html#who. Also, you might want to add a line in your item listing saying something like "For international buyers, any customs and duties fees are the responsibility of the buyer." or something like that.

thanks Morisa
this would be on Bonanza (not Ebay) so I could just tell her any customs charges would be her responsibility

Any customs should/would be the responsibility of the buyer to pay. There's a thread about it here: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...ing-i-pay-her-international-taxes-726221.html

In your reply, you should remind the potential buyer of those fees and point him/her to Ebay's policy at http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html#who. Also, you might want to add a line in your item listing saying something like "For international buyers, any customs and duties fees are the responsibility of the buyer." or something like that.

Some people like to limit their transactions to domestic only. This is easier for people who have a large domestic market like the US. I'm in Canada which has a much smaller market so the majority of my purchases and sales are international. There is more hassle in international - I don't find it a big deal - but then I'm used to it.

US - Canada transactions are some of the most common so if you can't find a domestic buyer, it's worth trying IMO. Your buyer should realize that she is responsible for any fees but as others have mentioned, it is a good idea to mention it in your listing.

thanks
I'll probably answer this one from Canada but I don't think I'd want to ship overseas

Some people like to limit their transactions to domestic only. This is easier for people who have a large domestic market like the US. I'm in Canada which has a much smaller market so the majority of my purchases and sales are international. There is more hassle in international - I don't find it a big deal - but then I'm used to it.

US - Canada transactions are some of the most common so if you can't find a domestic buyer, it's worth trying IMO. Your buyer should realize that she is responsible for any fees but as others have mentioned, it is a good idea to mention it in your listing.

You can go to USPS and calculate the shipping charges. I recommend you don't use first class or priority flat rate envelope or small flat rate box because those services aren't trackable and you won't be able to prove delivery in the event the buyer claims non-receipt.

Other priority shipping services and express mail services are trackable. The customs form isn't difficult or complicated and you can do it online if you print your labels through either PP or USPS.

Under no circumstances should you mark the package as "gift" and don't undervalue the price.

Note that Canada seems to be the slowest country as far as getting items to the buyers.

You can go to USPS and calculate the shipping charges. I recommend you don't use first class or priority flat rate envelope or small flat rate box because those services aren't trackable and you won't be able to prove delivery in the event the buyer claims non-receipt.

Other priority shipping services and express mail services are trackable. The customs form isn't difficult or complicated and you can do it online if you print your labels through either PP or USPS.

Under no circumstances should you mark the package as "gift" and don't undervalue the price.

Note that Canada seems to be the slowest country as far as getting items to the buyers.

agree and also make it very clear to your buyer that you will declare

the full amount of the transaction & that she is responsible for all duty

& taxes.... good luck.....

It actually seems to be getting much better, i mailed two packages from the states to canada recently and they both arrived within a week, one got hit with duty and one didnt so i guess that didnt make a difference. In november and december it took me upwards of 5 weeks to recieve a package, guess people were doing lots of online shopping for xmas this year

Don't leave us Canadians out!!! LOL! I hate when I find something I really want and they will only ship within the US...We have shopping addictions to you know! LOL!

We're not slow....we're just laid back :P Different people have different experiences I guess....and everybody has at least one story where it seemed to take forever. Most priority shipments get to me in, on average, just over a week. That doesn't seem slow to me but maybe its just because I am used to it. Most international buyers have learned to be patient.

We're not slow....we're just laid back :P Different people have different experiences I guess....and everybody has at least one story where it seemed to take forever. Most priority shipments get to me in, on average, just over a week. That doesn't seem slow to me but maybe its just because I am used to it. Most international buyers have learned to be patient.
I guess it depends on what you're used to and how quickly other shipments have reached their destinations.

I've seen packages I've sent to Canada take over 2 weeks and packages to Australia and Asia get there within 4 days. Considering that I'm located in the northeast US, I'd expect Canadian shipments to be faster than those to the other side of the world.

But the bottom line is that items reach their destinations and recipients.

I've seen packages take longer to travel the last 10 kilometres than they took to get from one corner of the continent to the other. And you're right. Most things get where they are supposed to go.