Does anyone really expect to get their best offer at 50% off the BIN accepted?

Sometimes I block people if they send me a ridiculous offer. Other times I counteroffer with $1-2 less than the BIN when they do it. I have actually had a taker or 2 on that:okay:

Yeah, I actually prefer to manually review the offers and counteroffer back than just to reject them. Sometimes a buyer just does that to find out the lowest price you'll take on an item, but is in fact very interested in it. That happened to me a few times too, but it was in email; two buyers asked for a couple of dollars less because they said that's all they could afford. I wrote back, saying "then no unfortunately, I can't sell it for any less. You'll have to go find someone else" and then they just hit the BIN. Never hurt to give things a try.

someone offered me £5 for my £1000 chanel a while back, oh how i laughed.....
Someone offered me $40 for my 2008 paddington!
To be honest though I think when people hear of people getting bargains on the TPF it makes them think they can offer crazy prices. I don't think they take into account the year/condition of the bag.
Once one person said she would only offer me such and such an amount ( don't want to go into specifics) because that's what I had paid for the last bag I bought. She had read my ebay feedback,but didn't realise that that bag was two yrs older and had a bit of damage where as mine was 2 months old!
Ebay is brutal, it's a buyers market that's for sure.
I think you nearly always get the best offer first, that's usually the most keen person, after that it's usually downhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloveslouis

I've been known to watch some auctions that are just relisted and relisted and relisted, and wait until the price comes down or whatever. I don't do it to be insulting, I'm just a bargain shopper. Worse case scenario the seller says "no!".

However: super lowball offers annoy me A LOT. I get those quite a bit when I sell.

I agree..If the offer isn't insulting, it never hurts to ask.:shrugs:

RE BINS:Ive noticed some sellers really over inflate their BIN in hopes that someone really wants the item and will pay top dollar, I've seen this happen time and time again, and the item doesn't sell and it's relisted and relisted.

I rarely make offers, but when I do, many time a best offer isnt even listed, and Ill ask a seller if she has a BIN in mind and if it's about $XXX
to add it, and Ill BIN..sheesh, Ive had some really good luck with this and have gotten some really good deals..
What I offer is what I can afford and what I think is a fair price..
I've never (to my knowledge) offered an insulting low price...
and I've never intentionally lowballed, but I have offered on the lowish side.

Last year a dress I had my eye on for quite some time had a BIN of around $500 or best offer.. the dress finally sold for a $125.
I was watching in hopes that there was a reduction..
Sheesh..I think that would've have been an insulting offer, but the seller accepted, and I wished I had offered it..
since then..even if it's lowish, Ill still offer..:smile:

My petpeeve is when I have a BIN up, and someone will make an offer..
or asks if it includes shipping..UGH!

I've been in these same predicaments! LOL!

yes, i do (and i have!)

i set my BIN high so that i WILL accept 50% because that is what people offer.

I thought this was usually the case on high ends items..
offers start at about 50% of the BIN price..
and is sort of negotiated from there.
Again, if it's been up awhile, Ill go lower..
I hate negotiating and will mention this nicely in my offer submit that my
offer is firm..

As a seller, I get really annoyed.

As a buyer, I never went that low but I guess you will never know unless you try. I don't normally go under 40%. I've gotten some decent deals on 40%

I have gotten offers like that from to potential buyers for a 600 bag, they ofered 250 each one but was rather insulting..... what I´ve read is the most they can ask for a discount it would be between 20 to 30 percent off, depending on the item and how high is priced....

I'm in agreement with trying 20% off, and I don't think that's an insulting offer.

I remember trying to offer $1425.00 on a purse that the buyer wanted $1495.00 BIN for- she turned me down.
The purse was relisted 2 more times and never sold.
The 3rd time she listed it for the $1495.00 BIN, she got a buyer.
I wonder though if she would have lost all that much selling to me at the $70.00 off as I told her I had that money available right that moment and could send it immediately.

I must have said something that irritated her.:confused1:

I remember a case on Dior subforum when rasta saddles hit the outlets and one seller had 10 of them for BIN 600$ or best offer. One of PFers sent a best offer 250 and got accepted ! that night a good few of us me included stocked up on rastas for 250 $ !!! :wlae: