Arts & Crafts Does anyone out there make their own jewelry?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions! None of my friends are etsy sellers, so it's nice to get the perspective from someone that has done it for a while but that is not a full time professional at it -- since I won't be either. :smile:

i had a ton of stuff before i listed my etsy store but honestly listing it was a HUGE PITA. i've seen a lot of shops that only have a handful of items to list and i think that's a good way to start. create something and list it. don't create a bunch and then list them all at once. you'll get tired of the process.

i try to buy inexpensive supplies... because honestly i can't afford to make super expensive pieces. i hope to one day be able to get more quality items but until then i'm stuck to what i can afford. i try to get as much stuff for as little as possible and i price stuff at what i think people will purchase at. i tried to pay attention to what i spend vs what i sell but it just wasnt happening.

i don't want to say that my stuff is 'cheap' because i feel like i DO buy quality supplies. i buy stuff that looks and feels good.

i'm horrible at writing listings so i'm no help there. you just want to be able to describe your stuff the best you can. and i don't see how the circles help at all. i belong to a couple but i don't really understand their purpose.

i use usps flat rate mail. sometimes i trust stuff to get there in bubble mailers if i feel $5 for an item is way too much. but i feel like a small flat rate box provides more protection than a bubble mailer.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions! None of my friends are etsy sellers, so it's nice to get the perspective from someone that has done it for a while but that is not a full time professional at it -- since I won't be either. :smile:

good pictures are really key also. good lighting. i ALWAYS use natural lighting. i have a front porch that's really good for it.
my most recent items i got a bit lazy with... the pictures aren't all that exciting.... i go through my moments on how much i care lol

good pictures are really key also. good lighting. i ALWAYS use natural lighting. i have a front porch that's really good for it.
my most recent items i got a bit lazy with... the pictures aren't all that exciting.... i go through my moments on how much i care lol

Thanks again ILuvShopping! I just opened my store even though I only have two items =) it's nice to start things up.

how CUTE!! i love it!!

really love the chain. i've been thinking about buying some like that but i haven't figure out a project yet for it. i've recently decided that i can't buy anything new unless i have a specific reason for it lol

I made a necklace (my first DIY), following this DIY instruction online.
Here it is:
dsc00758dl.jpg

I do really want to make some more pieces, when I get the time, because it enables me to personalize whatever I want.

very nice anna r.! i plan on making something similar to that as well. it's on my 'things to do' on my pinterest board loll
just need to get my butt in gear and do it!

how cute and valentines appropriate... i would never think to buy a hearts chain... but it so subtle, almost a surprise when you look closely!

Thanks, emilu. I liked the heart-chain subtlety as well, so I bought about six feet. For something that looks so fine and delicate, it's very strong and well made. For me, it's all about the materials. After that, the design falls into place. It did take a while to go through my freshwater pearls and find two that semi-matched in shape and color.

I really enjoyed your etsy shop. The wire wrap earring designs are wonderful! And yea to iluvshopping! It's good to see that you have your lovely new items listed. We should all be in each other's "Circle". I'm still figuring that part (and similar parts) out. ;)

OrangeTree, that last pendant you featured is drop-dead gorgeous! Have you created any new beauties to share with us?

Thank you :smile:
I had to get myself moving, first, too! But then I really liked it!

so i made my own version of this today and HOLY MOLY was it a PITA. lol
i wanted to do the entire length in the beaded braid... i dunno if it was because i used larger seed beads or what but it was almost impossible. I was trying for 7-8" of the braid but could only get about 4-5 inches braided until the strings of beads got REALLY tight. so tight that when i continued to braid some of the beads broke. once one of the crimp beads at the end popped off..... i swear to god i worked on this necklace for like 3-4 hours lol.

FINALLY i tried to do a really loose braid and i finally got it. it's not perfect because I was so impatient that I forgot to make sure that my strings were the same length (even though i did measure them on my bead board... but somehow some were way longer than others)

BUT! it is done... and i really want to make some bracelets like it too... but that is for another day... maybe next weekend lol.

i'll try to get a picture of mine tomorrow.

I really enjoyed your etsy shop. The wire wrap earring designs are wonderful! And yea to iluvshopping! It's good to see that you have your lovely new items listed. We should all be in each other's "Circle". I'm still figuring that part (and similar parts) out. ;)

i'm so lame on my etsy site.... lol i have no idea what the circles are for except that i've been added to a few (like yours! ;) ). especially when it's someone that i don't know at all..... i wonder why they added me to their circle lol. which happened yesterday or the day before. some painter added me to his circle.

here's my 4 hour necklace lol.

It looks GOOD! I love it! I can imagine, since I felt that braiding got harder even at the end of my shorter part. But I think you did a very good job! Love the colors too. I have been thinking about creating a bracelet too. You could even add something, a little charm to the end of the braid, if you wanted to.