Does Anyone Mix Foundations?

*schmoo*

O.G.
Jul 27, 2008
I've never found a perfect match in foundation. This latest one I purchased I realized is too light; however, I don't want to throw it away. Instead, I was thinking of buying another, maybe 2 shades darker and blending them. But I don't know if I can do this on my hand, pour it into another container, of blend directly on my face.

Has anyone done this?

Last edited:
I heard it's good to have two different shades to mix because your skin's a different color in winter vs summer but to be honest, I've never tried it before. It would be such a hassle having to mix and test every morning.

Yes, you can buy several shades to get the right color..

One for the warmer weather when your skin starts to get darker & one for now..

Just suggest buying from the same line... not to intermix brands

I mix Revlon Photoready Airbrush Mousse with a bit of Maybelline Dream Finish BB Cream for lighter coverage. When I have a long day or a special event I go over that just slightly with some Dior Airflash using a brush to really smooth everything out/even things out. Perfect combo!

I ordered another foundation (same line) that's 3 shades darker. Since it comes in a pump, I figured I'll just do one pump from each bottle on the back of my hand and hopefully the shade will be somewhere in the middle. And in the summer, I'll just try to put less of the lighter one on.

For some reason, I didn't know anyone responded to this and just saw your responses. Thank you all for your replies :smile:

I started doing this last year and was too scared to even mix brands back then. Now I mix with everything!! Even with pearl primer or just regular lotion on the days I just want light coverage

I mix foundation with BB cream to get the right color. Store it in those small cap size sample containers and apply with Q tips. Great way to customize colors and conserve on expensive cosmetics. So far no adverse reaction to mixtures.

It's a must in my line of work. I'm a makeup artist. I pretty much mix everything but I stick with mixing different foundation shades from the same brands/lines because it's more consistent.

I do with a drugstore tinted moisturizer....I mix on back of my hand
With my Armani foundation, even though it's the right color, I sometimes mix in some fluid sheer to give it a bit more color/life.

I do it everyday either to get the right color or to combine different finishes to suit my skin.
Right now I've been loving one of the Missha BB creams w/ the Maybelline Dream liquid foundation (which I would never wear on it's own) and YSL Teint Resist w/ L'Oreal True Match Lumi.

I've gotten heaps tanned this summer so my usual Bobbi Brown foundation is a bit too pale for my liking now. I mix in a tiny bit with a Revlon ColorStay sample I have on the back of my hand.