Family and Friends give you grief over your Handbag addiction?

QueenMaa said:
I get my bags at decent prices. People automatically assume that you might be spending big bucks on your bags which is not always necessarily true. They make assumptions. You can get very nice deals. I just hate it when people make assumptions when they really don't know anything.

Oh hh I get that all the time. I totally hear ya!!! People love to assume.

I don't know how old you are, but I found it was easier to deal with any criticisms when I finally had my own place/house. It just didn't affect me as much because I was physically removed from the situation.

Trust me, my mother was bugging me about me having too many handbags for years after I left home, but she stopped when she realized whatever she said didn't change how happy I was w my bags. At one point, they just give up.

Once you are able to be on your own, you can continue to live mindfully on your own terms. You'll get there!

Live your own life. You are a part of this planet, Earth and you deserve to live the way you want your life to be. This includes expensive bags.

I suppose you are still young. But when you reach an older age, the last thing you'd care is what your family and friends have to say. Because, there will always be people talking about this and that. And you'd look at them and wonder why.;)

QueenMaa said:
I get my bags at decent prices. People automatically assume that you might be spending big bucks on your bags which is not always necessarily true. They make assumptions. You can get very nice deals. I just hate it when people make assumptions when they really don't know anything.

I agree.... I search around for bag I want and then find an excellent quality one on ebay then have girls on authenticate thread check it. I also sell other bags/shoes to fund a new purchase. I've had cheap bags before and they don't last long so at least I can buy preloved and still get reasonable return when I sell. Also when I add up how much hubby spends smoking its about same as I spend on bags, just seems worse as I pay it all at once whereas he buys ciggys every couple days. That said I'd still never admit how much a bag costs and I try to hide new ones, so I must still feel guilty deep down!!

My mum complaining I've too much bags. Then my SO also commenting on it. I've a lot of things lol so including my bags they r a lot of things ard. N I'm a messy person. That's why my mum is nagging

So I cut down on my bag purchases for the recent trip. I only come back with 1 bag but 3 wallets.... N the previous trips I came back with 4 bags n thereafter bought another 2 more.
But well I think my storage space has hit the limit. I can't accommodate so much bags. N my aim now is to save as much as possible to get a property. I'm trying to make my $$$ grows.

Just wondering what everyone's family and friends think about their expensive taste?!

Personally- My parents can't stand me spending money on an accessory! Though I would much rather an expensive purse over a shopping spree anyday! So when I buy a new bag, I usually have to hide it.. even though it doesnt deserve to be hidden:sad:. My friends don't buy designer things.. I feel like when I come to TPF its a daily release haha. :nuts:

and you?
My mom is the same way.

I've learned to zip it after the flap I got from a distant aunt on the phone :smile: If I know for sure I'm not talking to a true blue purse twin, I'm not going to even address it.

I know it's a little cold, but not answering, literally -- not acting coy or skirting questions. Just not answering and looking slightly aloof sends a strong message = mind your own business.

My mum also likes designer bags and pays for a lot of mine (I'm 16). But my BOYFRIEND on the other hand just doesn't get it and always complains that I should have spent that money on a new computer or whatever. But men are just like that!

My mother loved designer bags, but is always telling me off for buying stuff. It's a "do as I say not as I do" kind of thing. I also think it's because she's older and has less income now, so maybe she's looking out for me and wants me to learn a lesson she's learning the hard way. My DH doesn't understand why any woman needs more than one purse and a couple of pairs of shoes. He doesn't tell me off though. If I didn't work, I probably wouldn't get to buy the things I love though.

Hello all!! I am in my 20s and just started collecting preloved bags - so far Chanel, Hermes, Fendi, Chloe, Loewe and LV. I don’t really feel comfortable wearing clear branding around my friends and family, and especially friends from work who would be judgmental. I know they would strike up a conversation about my bag when I’m just trying to go about my day. People will even comment on my Longchamp bags. Everyone I know is very frugal, carry fakes or can’t afford designer. I don’t even talk about designer, and when they bring up designer bags I just try to act dumb lol. :hrmm: Does anyone else keep their collection “private”? I’m satisfied with using my bags when going out with my DH, but I would love to get more use out of them without fear of affecting my close relationships or coming off as a spoiled overspender. :confused1:

Take a piece of advice from someone who is a "bit" older than you.
Use your bags. :yes:
That's why you bought them...to love and to use. :tup:
I really don't think you would come off as a "spoiled overspender" by using the bags you have and then, at least, you'll get the enjoyment you sought when you purchased them. :heart:
It would a darned shame to just let them sit and go unused. :huh:

Life is too short to let "judgmental people" spoil your pleasure.
If someone makes a comment, take it as a compliment to your good taste in bags. :yahoo:

Hello all!! I am in my 20s and just started collecting preloved bags - so far Chanel, Hermes, Fendi, Chloe, Loewe and LV. I don’t really feel comfortable wearing clear branding around my friends and family, and especially friends from work who would be judgmental. I know they would strike up a conversation about my bag when I’m just trying to go about my day. People will even comment on my Longchamp bags. Everyone I know is very frugal, carry fakes or can’t afford designer. I don’t even talk about designer, and when they bring up designer bags I just try to act dumb lol. :hrmm: Does anyone else keep their collection “private”? I’m satisfied with using my bags when going out with my DH, but I would love to get more use out of them without fear of affecting my close relationships or coming off as a spoiled overspender. :confused1:

People at work or church who pay attention see my bag collection, but I don't talk about it unless they ask. But my family and friends don't know. My mom would totally judge and be a pain, and her big sister would be worse. My other Aunt would be great, but has had financial issues, so I'm careful not to show buying expensive things, as I love her far too much to risk making her feel bad.

Closeted collector here, also older than you. It's a tough topic. My friends either just do. not. get. it. or they fall into the category of "I prefer being poor so I have more work/LIFE balance." I don't flash any logos with either group and try to keep it understated when we meet up. Despite that, I have been slammed with snide remarks in retrospect such as "oh I'm not a fool who's into designer." (Ouch.) Ditto for work: I've found it best to never, ever wear better things/look better than your superiors, especially (sad truth) as a woman it can backfire when your next raise is up. Thus I never take a "good" bag to the office, or even on a first date for fear of polarising (another sad truth: men are still peculiarly uncomfortable with women who clearly earn more than they do). Most of my stuff is just sitting in the closet these days given the pandemic. I've been wearing my best bags when I'm out on my own running errands, and I genuinely enjoy them in such everyday situations.
Ultimately I think you are right in your assumption that ppl will judge, and perhaps judge wrongly or out of ignorance. It's great you can wear yours out with hubby, and in essence I agree with @RTone: do what you want and wear what you want. You just might need to develop a thick skin though with some friends/family members.