Workplace Does anyone here work at Holt Renfrew?

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
I badly want to apply for a few jobs that they currently have listed at their Toronto location, but they say "The compensation for this role is commission-based and is directly tied to achievement of personal sales and brand volume targets."
Does this mean that there is no hourly wage and you just make commission on sales?

Anyone currently working there or have friends that work there that can answer this?

I am asking because I am wanting to relocate to Toronto, but without a job I am having a hard time finding a nice apartment because a lot of them want employment references, and I fear that if I applied and got the job that I still wouldn't be able to secure an apartment in time because I wouldn't have a "steady income".

Thanks! Good to know. I may apply and see what happens. I can always bring it up in an interview just to make sure before making the move.
It would be nice to make min wage + commission...that may be the only way I can afford to live in the city!

Yes, most of the time commission-based jobs have a base pay.

And just a word of advice.. I noticed you said you'll ask about pay in the interview (you may already know this but) dont ask about pay until after the job has already been offered to you and before you accept the position.

Thats exciting you're planning on moving to Toronto! (Im from Canada too) and traveled to Toronto years ago.. just loved it!

Yes, most of the time commission-based jobs have a base pay.

And just a word of advice.. I noticed you said you'll ask about pay in the interview (you may already know this but) dont ask about pay until after the job has already been offered to you and before you accept the position.

Thats exciting you're planning on moving to Toronto! (Im from Canada too) and traveled to Toronto years ago.. just loved it!

No! I would never outright ask about pay at the interview I'm way too chicken for that LOL! My last job he outright told me in the first interview what my pay was going to be and then asked me in the second interview if I was ok with the pay.
I would ask them to clarify the part that says "The compensation for this role is commission-based and is directly tied to achievement of personal sales and brand volume targets." just so I know what that means exactly, and what they expect from employees type of thing. Plus they might just outright tell me anyway that there is base pay plus commission you never know. That part to me is just unclear and sounds stressful :lol:

I LOVE Toronto! I think I spend more money traveling there so many times a year that I might as well just move there. I model too so I always end up having to stay in hotels and taking the train when I go for fashion shows and everything. I am dying to move! I just need to secure a job so that I know I have a guaranteed salary before I start looking at expensive apartments!

No! I would never outright ask about pay at the interview I'm way too chicken for that LOL! My last job he outright told me in the first interview what my pay was going to be and then asked me in the second interview if I was ok with the pay.
I would ask them to clarify the part that says "The compensation for this role is commission-based and is directly tied to achievement of personal sales and brand volume targets." just so I know what that means exactly, and what they expect from employees type of thing. Plus they might just outright tell me anyway that there is base pay plus commission you never know. That part to me is just unclear and sounds stressful :lol:

I LOVE Toronto! I think I spend more money traveling there so many times a year that I might as well just move there. I model too so I always end up having to stay in hotels and taking the train when I go for fashion shows and everything. I am dying to move! I just need to secure a job so that I know I have a guaranteed salary before I start looking at expensive apartments!

How much are apartments there now?

I stayed in Richmond for a couple of months in a hotel myself.. the drivers in Toronto and surrounding areas are TERRIBLE lol.

How much are apartments there now?

I stayed in Richmond for a couple of months in a hotel myself.. the drivers in Toronto and surrounding areas are TERRIBLE lol.

The average price for a place is around $1300 a month for a one bedroom. Basement apartments go for cheaper, but I'm tall and claustrophobic so no dice for a place that has very few windows. I am thinking of roommates to make moving to a nice place cheaper. That way I can live in a nice newer condo or apartment for half the price. :biggrin: I love the huge windows in newer condos though so I have been kind of narrowing in on those places.

The drivers are terrible, especially the taxi drivers!! I don't know how many times I have almost been run over by a taxi turning right when I have the right of way crossing the street!! I have my license but I refuse to drive in the city, so I am looking for places downtown. I can either walk or take public transportation. I live in the middle of no where right now and I am usually one of the only cars on the road. Even during tourist season traffic is never too bad. I will need to get a metro pass when I do move and just learn the TTC system better. Much safer and better for my sanity. :P

Ok so I applied to work at Holts selling Prada handbags :smile: If I get an interview I need to start visiting the Prada section on here a lot more often LOL There was another position for Jo Malone but I know absolutely nothing about the brand.