does anyone get tired of ...

thanks again ladies....i knew people here would understand....your right i will not feel bad about it anymore,all my bills are paid (dont really have any but mortgage and car) and i only buy when I have the extra money and my husband has to MAKE me splurge when I do...he is the best...he loves that I have something for myself.

yes and you are totally like me!
by the way... i live in old navy flip flops! lol every feburary i buy at least one of most every color! (ha ha ha) and live in them until january!
but this is how i see it- i haven't boughten any new coach any thing since..... august ( oh my god!) and when i was buying it more rapidly, i was in highschool, working afterschool, and still getting good grades,and i paid for it with money i worked for.
and of course now that i'm out of school, getting ready to start nursing school, and working full time, i just don't have the money to now... but maybe hopefully after x-mas i can buy myself a new one!
and i mainly shop at the outlets, so that helps! lol at least it's a little cheaper, so i can tell them i got a deal!

When I used to work, there was this one lady who came up to me every day and said "so lets see your purse today and is that new!" like she was being cute, but it really got annoying after a while. I started bringing the same bag alot just to get her off my back. Now that I'm a SAHM I think I deserve nice things even more than before! I take care of two kids plus my husband - I totally do everything for him - he literally doesnt have to lift a finger when he gets home - and he often works 14 hour days 6-7 days a week, so I wouldnt have it any other way. He buys me and our kids nice things, the end, none of anyones business.

i get many side commenst like i would never spend that much on a bag and how stupid it is to spend that on a bag but i find it ironic how peopel can justify spending $$$ on luxury automobiles like um they loose value so quickly like at least with our bags they retain their value quite well ... i feel now have learned that depsite what i do with my time or how i spend my $ some out there will find something wrong with it so i say i enjoy my bags ( they are an outlet of expression for me hence i have various styles ) and are very durable hence the nay sayers are starting to convert on over to my belief espeiclaly how they see me use my bags everyday and how well they maintain ( especially my wristlets had a disucssion with two co workers about my signature stripe wrislet .. they were shocked at how much items i had inside of it and how compact it was and although they said for about 60 dollars i want a large purse i can see how they potentially may rethink that and purchase a wristlet and than a actual bag ) time is the answer to everything and once people see the utitlty of it they will purchase it

i realized that when it comes to this sort of thing, life is just too short to care. DH thnks my bag obsession is funny, but he spends the same $ on comic books and stuff, so we just each have a small budget for these sorts of things. and my fam doesnt care bc my mom got my sis and i into bags in the first place! beyond that, i dont really care what others think of how i spend my $. it isnt theirs to spend!

I had a funny last night. Met 2 other stay at home moms for coffee, and I was carrying my turquoise Ergo tote, all prettied up with a scarf and my W charm. I saw them eying it all night, and finally one of the ladies said "I have to know, how much was it?" I told her the retail price, and then what I paid for it (outlet price), and she says "oh that's not too bad! I was expecting way worse!" She said her purse straps were fraying and it was time for a new one--and I told her, "If it was a Coach, they'd either fix that or replace it for you". That did it!! She figured if it had a "warranty" it was worth the extra money. We're all 3 pretty tight with our money, but I think maybe she had some small understanding of my obsession :smile:

Now, the other lady just sat there shaking her head and laughing at me gushing over my purse, LOL!!

Who once said, "What you think of me is none of my business?" I'm a lot happier when I remind myself of that. I know I'm very frugal in almost every other area of my life --like most of you--bargain clothes/shoes/drugstore make up and rarely eating out--so this is the one thing I enjoy, and I tire of feeling guilty about it.

:tup: I feel the exact same way. I've worked very hard to get where I am, and if I choose to "indulge" in handbags, so be it. I take care of my financial obligations, my own family, my parents (paying part of their mortgage), and nearly anyone else that comes around....I'm tired of feeling guilty and have learned to enjoy my bags. I have also learned not to try to keep up with anyone but myself, and not care too much what others have to say about me.

Unfortunately, there are people that will think it's acceptable to comment on your appearance, your "indulgences", or just be rude and ask inappropriate questions about what you choose to do with your money.

As for how I handle the rude comments about the costs: Usually when someone asks "Oh my gosh, why would you spend that much on a handbag" I reply: Because I can and I deserve it! :P

Who once said, "What you think of me is none of my business?" I'm a lot happier when I remind myself of that. I know I'm very frugal in almost every other area of my life --like most of you--bargain clothes/shoes/drugstore make up and rarely eating out--so this is the one thing I enjoy, and I tire of feeling guilty about it.

Can you imagine if all of the people of the world stopped making beautiful things and decided that 'since you can buy a painting at Wal-mart, why should I try being the next Michelangelo?"
ITA...great post :smile:

When anyone starts giving you grief, start asking them questions: what kind of car do you drive? how big is your house? do you belong to a country club? do you have cable? When they object, you can just innocently explain that you thought they wouldn't mind, since they're commenting on your spending habits, you thought the subject was open.

My DD's boss was starting to give her grief, and this woman smokes like a chimney. DD doesn't want to be rude, but if someone smokes one pack a day (and that's easy, I used to) they're blowing $1642.50 a year! That'll buy a LOT of bags! :yahoo:

I hate those comments as well. I'm pretty good with my money. My bills are ALWAYS paid on time and I've never had to ask for money. I've always been a good daughter and never got in trouble. I'm a good student.

I deserve a treat/reward for it!

Besides, I take really good care of my things so I'll use them for a very long time. I'll get good use out of every penny I spent on it.

I hate when people are like "You have 7 bags... Why do you need more?"

*yells* BECAUSE THEY ARE PRETTY ! ! !

Isn't it funny that we all think we need to justify ourselves when someone asks a question like, "Why would you spend so much money on a handbag?"

Maybe we should simply reply, "Why do you think it's appropriate to ask about my financial choices?" or, "Why do you spend so much money on bar hopping/cigarettes/liquor/xbox games/fishing poles/gold plated toilet covers/insert your vice here?"

Turning the question back on them would likely end the debate. They may not agree with spending money on a handbag but at least they'd know the topic is off limits.

i can relate with u. i'm not a shopaholic when it comes to clothes but when it comes to handbags...i'm obsessed! my family thinks its ridiculous for me to spend so much on a bag, but i work hard for my money and its not like i'm asking for their money to run off and purchase an expensive satchel or clutch. i feel that if u work hard for whatever it is that u desire, that u deserve to have it :amuse:

I'm young-ish (23)...no husband...no kids...

and I get it BAD sometimes from snooty women who I guess are unhappy with the choiceds they made. Telling me "Maybe if I didn't have kids I could have a 300$ bag too". or "If I didn't have a real life and could waste money on stuff like that".

I think it's so rude, not only to me, but to their husband and kids. I have never had a happily married person say that to me, it's always people I know have other issues and they seem to take it out on people who look happy.

Right now, this is the life that I have, I am working hard and my only priority is me. When I do get married and have kids which I want to do down the line, I just haven't found the right guy and I don't feel ready...I would DEFINATELY buy less bags if it fit my lifestyle better. And I wouldn't resent those who could still buy more...we each make our own choices, and it seems so petty to compare yourself to other people.

I LOVEEEE the Sex and the City episode "A Woman's RIght to Shoes" when the woman shoe-shames Carrie's Manolos. I feel like we can all relate to that when people attempt to bag shame us.

Yeah...it's the same here.:girlsigh:I just say, "Well...everyone has something and Coach is my thing". Ya know...I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't use drugs, I raise 3 children, 3 cats and take care of hubby and house. I have friends who shake their heads and chuckle at me. My mom says I'm nuts to spend that much on a bag but if I love it then that's what matters. I bought her, her first Coach! Coach is my friend.:P