does anyone else read comic books?

ilzabet

easily amused
Mar 11, 2006
they're my new hobby and very very addictive. i love how they combine the fun of reading with the visuals of television only better....after all, illustrating an action sequence isn't limited by technology or safety like filming one is. not to mention there's so many stories and so much history that it's easy to find a relatable hero for everyone.

however i'm beginning to think i'm one of the very few socially adjusted female 20 somethings out there that reads them.....and the only one that picked them up as an adult. it's making me feel beyond geeky (and not in a good way). of course even if i am, it won't make me stop reading them....but it would be nice to know i'm not alone. (much like this battlestar galactica thread helped us all feel better :smile:)

I looooooove comic books. :love:

I have 3 brothers, but cannot blame them for my love.

One of my aunties started me off pretty "normally" with the Archie comics.... I don't remember how old I was.... but I do remember that in the 5th grade I picked up Elfquest & was completely hooked.

In between were Groo:greengrin:, Spy vs Spy, and some other silly things my brothers had....

In intermediate school, I followed the standard Marvel obsessions... X-men (all titles), Wolverine, Spiderman... I liked Spawn for awhile,:devil: but couldn't keep up.

At the present, I don't collect anything, but I will stand next to the turny-stand :angel:in Borders & read whatever storyline I'm following at the moment.

My favorite local comic shop closed last year, :crybaby:and I refuse to purchase single comics from anywhere else. I wait until they're printed together as a "graphic novel" and then I borrow then from the local library.

Okay...that was my novel...who else is on board??

I use to! My Mom worked for Marvel comics for a while, so she used to bring home a bunch of them. I was a baby at the time and I colored all over a few early editions of Xmen and Spiderman:shame: They would have been worth quite a bit of money now!

Yes, it's sort of a guilty habit.

I got into them because of DH. Mostly I read webcomics though (diesel sweeties, a softer world, girl genius).

But I did work my way through the Sandman books and I started on Buddha. I have a tendency to accidentally destroy magazines, so I steer clear of those flimsy comic books and only buy proper "books".

I don't, but SO is a fan. He loves Spiderman, DeadPool, etc. Only marvel universe, though. He knows everything about marvel, which is weird because he only reads comics like once a month :confused1: I think he spend too much time with it as a kid, lol

Doesn't collect comic books as much as he used to, though. He tends to buy the trades.

I used to read all things Archie, Katy Keene, Josie and the Pussycats and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.

I was so excited to see the Josie and the Pussycats movie. I thought the casting was perfect.

Apparantly, the Archie company wasn't too pleased the movie was PG-13:

In 2001, MGM-Universal made Josie and the Pussycats, starring Rachael Leigh Cook, Tara Reid, Rosario Dawson, and Parker Posey. "Universal insisted on making it a PG-13 movie," Silberkleit says. "We said, 'Archie is not PG-13. You're crazy.' They said, 'You don't understand—it's the MTV crowd.' We said, 'No, it's the Nickelodeon crowd.' We made money, but we could have done much better."
(Vanity Fair)

I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie as much if it was rated G. It wasn't like it was rated R, or anything.

I posted a thread about the Archie special in Vanity Fair:
http://forum.purseblog.com/general-discussion/everythings-archie-88962.html

As for British comics, I loved Dandy and Beano. (One year, my uncle sent me a year's subscription for my birthday. Because the comics came out weekly, I would find three or four issues in my mailbox.)

From The Beano, I loved Minnie the Minx, Dennis the Menace, (Walter the Softy), Ivy the Terrible and The Bash Street Kids. (My dad used to tell me stories about how when he was a kid, he was one of the Bash Street Kids. For those of you who are familiar with The Beano, he said he was Spotty.)

When I was studying in London, I made it a point to go to Chessington World of Adventures because one of the attractions was Beanoland.)

From The Dandy, I loved Desperate Dan, Cuddles and Dimples, Beryl the Peril and Bully Beef and Chips

About 5 years ago I went through a phase where I read every single comic book out there that contained Archie, Betty, and Veronica LOL! I'm not too into them anymore but every now and then I'll flip through one.