Does anyone else feel like their nails always have to be painted?

Not really. I do like a natural look. My nails are just too weak and they split and break very easily, tearing my cuticles apart in the process. For the last 18 months I've used gel polish, and for the last year I've mixed it with dip in order to get even stronger nails. Now I always have nice looking, long (on my standards) nails and cuticles that are intact, and I do feel like it always gives a well put together look. I was so conscious of my hands before as for 10 months of the year my cuticles were torn and red, and my nails were super short.

Reactions: PewPew
When I was younger (20s) I always had painted nails and toes- mostly done by myself but since the pandemic it completely fell by the wayside. I'd like to get back into doing it regularly but I'm a very low maintenance girl at heart so it hasn't happened yet. Meanwhile my 100+ Chanel/Dior etc. polishes sit in their drawers :doh:

Yes! I paint my toes on my own and have them the same color all year round.. just redoing them every few weeks.

I've had gel nails on my hands for the past 10 years - minus a 2-year hiatus due to the pandemic.. started going back early 2022. Having my nails done def makes me feel put together.. some people spend on hair..lashes.. brows...for me it is nails!

Reactions: elinm_85
Before I started doing manicure on a permanent basis, I bit my nails. I gnawed very hard, and could not cope with this habit in any way. And so, 6 years ago, I decided to go for a manicure with gel polish, and it saved me. I have beautiful, strong nails, I was able to grow them, and I am very happy with it. And now a manicure is like a relaxation for me. I like to choose a color, combine several colors with each other. So I realized that I love the combination of white and green!

I usually wear very minimal makeup, but nails is something I always have to have done! :smile: Just doesn't quite feel the same if my nails are bare. If I don't have time, I'll just apply a clear coat. But most of the time, I wear dark green, dark gray or dark red nail polish. And I always keep my nails short, 1 mm over the fingertip is the maximum comfortable length for me.

Yes, I always have my nails painted :smile: :heart: (I do it myself, I don't like salons)... some years ago I occasionally chose to wear clear nail polish, but I don't like that look on me anymore, as over the years the coloured nail polishes have stained my nails a little :P

Having my nails painted is truly a joy for me! I do my own manicures so it’s easy for me to keep them nice.
I know I shouldn’t brag but I have perfect feet! Hahahaha. I don’t need pedicures but I still paint my toenails in the summer.
I like having fingers and toes they match, so I have more fun with colors in fall and winter. I don’t want to repaint my toes often in the summer.

I disappeared from the nail subforum for 10+ years because I started rock climbing and had to give up painted nails... recently discovered that the newer semi-permanent technologies stay on pretty well (my nails are quite strong so I can change the semi-permanent every two weeks). Still miss my old longer nails but at least now I have some colour :love:

Reactions: 880 and elinm_85
For many months, manicure pedicure without color.
Buffed and shaped weekly
sometimes gel or regular color pedicure
both done at the same time as weekly blow dry

Last edited:
Reactions: lvpiggy
I usually do my own color gel. Today, I got a pedicure outside for the first time just because I wanted to match my new KTG wallet. (Color is still a bit different but to be fair, I did not bring the wallet out for comparison). Is it appropriate to post toe pics? If not, please delete. Thanks.

20230511_181634.jpg

Used to like gel nails at the salon but now I just dislike sitting there for things to be done. Moreover gel nails end up making my nails really brittle, although well done nails make things more fun. Now I just keep my nails healthy and bare *almost*. But apply a strengthener every two days. I like how it has been lately. I’m waiting for some water decals to arrive to add little color to them, without adding stress to them. I do have some pressed on nails ready for special occasion. But hardly. And I find glue-on is much less stressful for nails than gel.
IMG_0441.jpeg