Food Does anyone else brine their turkey?

We did it last year. The gravy-eaters were disgruntled, because they said it made the gravy "citrusy," but I don't eat gravy so I didn't care :P The turkey was fabulous!!! :yes:

Best thing that could ever happen to turkey! Hubby brines the turkey overnight before we smoke it. So, so good! We use, among other things, liquid Zataran's crab boil in the brine.

We never cook a whole turkey, just a turkey breast, so no. BUT, I read a blog written by this woman that is very entertaining and she has a cooking blog too. She had a turkey brine recipe up this past week. Here's the link for the blog- http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/ and a directory of Thanksgiving recipes only- http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/category/thanksgiving

She is listing all kinds of holiday recipes and goes step by step w/ photos. I really want to make her cinnamon rolls- they look amazing...

I think this is Emeril's brine. It totally makes a difference in the moistness of the turkey:

Turkey Brine
(10-12 pound turkey)

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, quartered
2 lemons, quartered
6 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs rosemary

To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.) Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.

Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of water.

I brined my turkey last year, then deep-fried it. There was apple juice, and perhaps some other source of sugar in the recipe. While the turkey did not BURN, the skin was totally BLACK when it came out of the deep fryer. :P This year I will be dry-salting the turkey prior to deep-frying; we'll see how that turns out.

I bought the brine mix from Williams and Sonama and abotu 2 hours ago I put the brien on the turkey - I used apple cider in the brine liqud to add more flavor ,
I swear I almost died trying to get that huge turkey and the container that had 5 gallons of water in it on the shelf of the refriderator :sweatdrop: