Food Does anyone can, pickle, or jam?

gypsumrose

Bella Enchanted
O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
IL
We're just getting into this in combination with gardening. So far we've made too many jars of pickles, salsa, and frozen fresh zucchini and green beans. Yesterday I made Blackberry Peach Jam using ingredients from the Farmers Market and today I'm getting started on Peach Jam.

Does anyone else do similar preserving or have memories of doing it growing up?

kattykay

sofa king sexy!
Jun 8, 2008
new jersey
I dont but my grandma makes her own pickles and grape jelly. I dont eat pickles so IDK how they taste but the Jelly comes out amazing.

KittyBag

Settling in...
Mar 28, 2006
Smaller Apple (north of NYC)
I used to do this with my mom and grandma! I really want to learn how. I can get as far as cooking up the salsa or jam... but the whole water bath for the jars and sealing them confused me. Is it hard?

gypsumrose

Bella Enchanted
O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
IL
I used to do this with my mom and grandma! I really want to learn how. I can get as far as cooking up the salsa or jam... but the whole water bath for the jars and sealing them confused me. Is it hard?

It's not hard! It sounds complicated and does take a little bit of time, but not something you can't handle. I'm still quite new at it so I just learned.

Basically, either run your jars through a dishwasher (ours is pretty crappy so I don't trust it) or boil them in water on the stove until you're ready to use them. Put the lids in hot water, but not boiling until you're ready for them too (this gets the sealant ready).

After you get the jam or salsa into the jar, wipe the rim with a damp paper towel. This is to make sure the contact between the sealant and the jar is good. Put on the lid with the top and put the whole thing in a pot of hot water. The jar should be off the bottom on the pot (ours is on a vegetable steamer) and covered by an inch or so of water. Then just leave them in there until you get the water back up to a full rolling boil for the length that the recipe says and you're done!

I'll take pics and post tonight of my jams. :smile: I'm thinking raspberry and/or blueberry for next weekend!

gypsumrose

Bella Enchanted
O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
IL
First pic - Blackberry Peach Jam
Second pic - Peach Jam (yum!)
Third pic - everyone together - 10 freaking pints!

Unfortunately, upon further inspection it doesn't look like the peach set properly. It tastes great, but it's more of a syrup than a jam. I'm disappointed, but I think it'll still be great on toast and vanilla ice cream. :smile:

I'm thinking about trying it again this weekend with cherries and raspberries.

Attachments

Susan Lee

Double Trouble
O.G.
Dec 1, 2006
California
YUM!!! How does the blackberry peach taste? Does the peach overwhelm the blackberry, or is it a balance of the 2 flavors?

Mmm...cherrry!!!

gypsumrose

Bella Enchanted
O.G.
Oct 4, 2007
IL
YUM!!! How does the blackberry peach taste? Does the peach overwhelm the blackberry, or is it a balance of the 2 flavors?

Mmm...cherrry!!!

The flavors were pretty balanced when I tasted the blackberry peach on Sat while making it. Last night we tasted a little tupperware of leftover jam and it seemed overwhelmingly blackberry (though different than blackberry jam), but I imagine if we try it on a different media it might be a bit more balanced.