Does anyone actually use their iridescent bags? Afraid to use my gorgeous pink...

Quick feedback: Chanel iridescent bags...

• YAY - gorgeous, ages gracefully, worth it to have one of these unicorns!

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • NAY - too delicate given the cost, short lifespan, there are better options

Votes: 20 26.7%

• Total voters

shopaholicsister

Chanel fever
O.G.
Oct 19, 2006
I have the gorgeous 21S iridescent pink medium flap and I feel so silly but...I'm afraid to use it! I haven't worn it once since I bought it, although some of that is due to (hopefully temporary) changes in my lifestyle due to the pandemic, parent health issues, personal injuries, etc. But every time I take it out of the closet, 1) my heart skips a few beats, and then, 2) I get anxious because I have no idea what to expect with the wear and tear. Please help! Are you wearing your iridescent bags? How have they worn so far? Any excessive wear and tear or other issues to report? Are they sturdier than expected? Do you think they will age gracefully as you wear them over time? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Btw, I'm one of those people that keeps their bags forever. I like how bags break in and patina over time, so I'm not hoping that this bag will stay in 100% perfect condition. I just need to know that the pink color won't wear off or that the iridescent coating won't fade or chip unevenly, etc. Part of me is tempted to just wear the darn thing and deal with however it wears over time. I initially wanted the caviar flap from the same season but I bought the iridescent because that's what my SA was able to get for me - and I fell in love with it the second I unboxed it.

IMG_0471.JPG

Part of me is tempted to just wear the darn thing and deal with however it wears over time.
I don't own Chanel but, I firmly believe that people need to use their things! Life's so short and, as we learned from the pandemic, things can change in an instant. Don't put off using something you bought and love! Use it, enjoy it, make memories with it.
Wear and tear are just part of the story, and if it wears badly and needs to be let go of down the line, at least you actually enjoyed it while you had it! Hopefully it will surprise you with how well it wears (and any change in the finish will be charming not unsightly), but even if it not, it's okay. It's just a thing. Let it bring you pleasure right now, for however long it can! That joy is far greater than the actual item.
and I fell in love with it the second I unboxed it.
Now imagine how much that love for it will grow once you carry it, style it, break it in, attach happy places and moments to it as you take it through your daily life! :smile:
although some of that is due to (hopefully temporary) changes in my lifestyle due to the pandemic, parent health issues, personal injuries, etc.
Hoping this next year is easier on you! :flowers:

A bag only becomes a bag when in use. In the closet, it's just an object.

Special finishes or delicate fabrics are more tricky, they are not everyday work-horses. IMO, it's more a question of when they need cleaning and what people clean them with. Ordinarily, just carrying it won't do anything detrimental.

If you are happy owning an object of desire, there's nothing wrong with that.

If you ever intend to wear the bag, you may as well start ASAP, it just doesn't have to be every day.

Love the color! You are so lucky to have found a bag that brings a smile to your face and makes your heart skip a beat. Start of slow- Take it out during a special occasion dinner / event then gradually find more occasions to wear it. It'll be okay :smile:

• Love
Reactions: LT23 and jblended
I just bought the purple beauty from 23P. I also have a black iridescent that I bought in July 2022, which I’ve used. I am a bit more careful than with a caviar bag and enjoy it none the less. I did just order some cleaning wipes recommended in another post. And I invested in a heavy weight bag hook from Carrie Atelier. It folds flat and comes with its own case. They are expensive—$105–but given the current price of Chanel bags I think it is well worth it to keep my bag off of the ground.

03D1553A-4BBD-46C7-AF68-4FDF4320981D.jpeg

DA76D344-B878-438E-BC38-0A4F154BEBFC.jpeg

I don't own anything iridescent, but I've recently come across a rainbow WOC on a lady at an upscale grocery store! The bag is a little beat up with all the mileage, but she seems to really enjoy wearing her item. It's always nice to see a bag well loved!

Yes, life is too short. Time blurs, I cannot even accurately recall what happened from 2019 to now. Better to enjoy your things. Having said that I would still be cautious with the bag. First, take it to a dinner. Any dinner. Then take it shopping. Start small....

Bag twins!

I have this bag, and have worn it dozens of times, primarily in spring and summer weather, also took it on an international trip where I wore it multiple days in a row, no issues/cracks or signs of wear. This bag is in smooth calf leather, not lambskin, so it’s not quite as delicate. My SA, who has worked for Chanel 30+ years told me Chanel iridescent finishes hold up nicely, it’s the metallic finish that she always advises me to stay away from, that finish tends to chip and peel over time.

So I would say wear your bag and enjoy it, it will give you so much more joy when you’re using it.

I just bought the purple beauty from 23P. I also have a black iridescent that I bought in July 2022, which I’ve used. I am a bit more careful than with a caviar bag and enjoy it none the less. I did just order some cleaning wipes recommended in another post. And I invested in a heavy weight bag hook from Carrie Atelier. It folds flat and comes with its own case. They are expensive—$105–but given the current price of Chanel bags I think it is well worth it to keep my bag off of the ground.

View attachment 5703289

View attachment 5703293
I just got the same one. It is gorgeous. I have trouble because it is fancy
and I don't know if I want to wear so I need an outfit for this bag.

Last edited: