Does ANYBODY Here Like The Break Away Zippers Coach Puts On Some Bags???

LIblue

Dona Nobis Pacem
Mar 29, 2007
I recently purchased the new Legacy Leather Tote in brown. It's a great bag and I love the shape and design EXCEPT for the fact that it has that blasted break away zipper top. I don't know about anyone else, but that zipper always comes completely undone every time I open my bag. :cursing: It really isn't practical to try to get things out of my bag if I only unzip it half way. I know that the design is supposed to allow for the bag to completely open like a tote but how many of you want your bag opened up like that??? I have had bags with that type of closure before and swore I wouldn't buy another one but I just fell in love with this bag. I just wish there was some way to keep the zipper from coming undone while still being able to get into my bag. Do you think Coach should rethink this type of closure?

A couple of my bags also have the break away zipper. It is a bit annoying, however I tend to not zip my bags up very often unless I am in a really busy place with lots of people. I think its Coach's way of giving us a bag that has a big opening (tote-style), but also gives us an option of zipping the top. But, yes, mine always come undone when I open the bag.

I don't mind it on my gallery tote and my heritage stripe tote. It's like the dogleash closure and shoulder flap...I accept and get used to it. I just think it's a 'Coach thing' and live with it.

I find the shoulder flap (if there isn't a back pocket) to be difficult to get into and out of especially when it's a huge bag like the Leather Legacy Shoulder Flap. I find that much harder to deal with than the break-away zipper.

If I am at a grocery store and I need to open and close my zip-away tote, I just move to another counter with my purchases and close it.

I didn't even think about this until you wrote this thread. For me, that's probably why I have so many bags--so many ways to choose to gain access to my stuff in my bag. On days that I am really lazy, I carry around an opened top tote (much like a Gigi) and on days I feel really fancy and don't mind the extra work to carry my stuff, I take my shoulder flap bags out. Variety is the living spice I sprinkle on my daily routines.

Take care,

My lunch tote and Heritage stripe tote has them and I just don't care for them. I don't like that I can't close/zip it easily. When I'm running for my subway, the last thing I want to do is have to stop so I can zip it because there is no way I'm going to have it wide open on the train. But, at least the Heritage stripe tote has those "flaps" so I can slide my metrocard and card holder right into it.

^CCC (or C to the power of 3)^ I do the same thing with my commuter pass as well. In fact, I punch a hole on top of my card, put a long (60") metal bead chain through it (like the kind that the coach hangtags swing from) and loop it around a strap or metal strap loop on my Coach bags and stick the pass into an external pocket. In that way, the pass is secure (especially if I am pay over $100 a month for it) and I don't have to use the zipper each time I ride off.

Some may ask where I get these long dogtag chains from. I got mine from the dollar store. I bought a metal dog tag necklace and deliberately tossed the tag to use for the pass. Also, the chain is long enough that I can take the pass out and slide it through the turnstile machine and walk through effortlessly.

Take care,

Last edited:
My Madeline is like that and it annoys me. I find it too shallow to leave it open as I'm paranoid about that. I usually just unzip it halfway to get something since I don't carry very much in my purses.

My carryall has that kind of zipper too and mine also comes apart every single time I open it. I have tried to keep myself from opening it too far but, that didn't work, it still comes all the way undone. Now, I really like the look of the zipper like that but, it is really unhandy because once it comes undone, you have to stand there and mess with it to get it zipped back up. The zipper and the fact that It isn't a shoulder bag are the 2 reasons that I don't carry that bag very often.

I recently purchased the new Legacy Leather Tote in brown. It's a great bag and I love the shape and design EXCEPT for the fact that it has that blasted break away zipper top. I don't know about anyone else, but that zipper always comes completely undone every time I open my bag. :cursing: It really isn't practical to try to get things out of my bag if I only unzip it half way. I know that the design is supposed to allow for the bag to completely open like a tote but how many of you want your bag opened up like that??? I have had bags with that type of closure before and swore I wouldn't buy another one but I just fell in love with this bag. I just wish there was some way to keep the zipper from coming undone while still being able to get into my bag. Do you think Coach should rethink this type of closure?

My Transatlantic Weekend Bag has it... but since it's so big, it never comes undone.

But I would understand how the smaller bags would get annoying, especially since you would have to fiddle with the zipper everytime

I too hate the break away zippers. I have been wanting a gallery tote for a long time but I know the zipper will annoy me! I do like the ide of seweing the end so the zipper doesn't go completely to the end and become undone. Smart idea!