Does a ring on your left hand signify that you're "taken" or in a relationship??

TresChic35

The Newbie?
Aug 13, 2007
I wear rings on the middle finger of both hands. Sometimes my male friends will think that I have a bf because one of my rings is a heart and I don't wear it up-side down. My other ring is a big gemstone with diamonds, but I feel like some men mistaken it for an engagement ring even though I wear it on my left, middle finger. I don't want men to think that I'm engaged; I'm a lonely, single girl hahah!

Do rings on certain fingers signify something?

I don't see anything at all wrong with wearing a ring on your middle finger (I mean why would someone think just because you're wearing a heart on your middle finger you have a boyfriend? That's just weird, can't someone just like hearts?!). I know some people feel real passionate about not wearing certain kinds of rings on their left ring finger or any at all for that matter if they're single (I personally feel that thinking is a bit 'old fashioned'). I wear rings on my left ring finger all the time (even bands). In fact, I tend to wear rings on my left hand more often than I wear rings on my right hand. To each their own, I guess. I personally have never been of the mind that it was a big deal nor have I cared what anyone else may think about me doing so. :shrugs:

Last edited:
As long as you're not wearing an engagement/wedding looking ring on your left ring finger (or I think they wear wedding rings on the right ring finger in some places), I don't see why anyone would think you're taken. Your pinkie, middle finger or index finger of your left hand should be safe!

In the states diamonds on your left ring finger mean your are taken for sure. However a gemstone of any other type or some kind of cocktail ring would not signal to most that you are engaged or taken. In Europe and other places I believe it has more meaning when you wear any type of ring (diamond or gemstone) on the left ring finger. Most of my European friends have engagement rings that are NOT diamonds....so they think I'm weird if I wear any gemstone or any ring on my left ring finger. :shrugs:

*shrug* I have two diamond rings that I like to wear on a daily basis. I'm a one ring per hand kinda gal, so I wear one on the right ring finger and the other on the left ring ringer. I'm not engaged or married, I'm only 19.

Once, when I was getting into an elevator, a lady asked me if I was married. I said no, and she said she thought I was because I was wearing my diamond ring on my left hand. She said it's a good thing I'm not married yet because I look too young. I thought that was kind of odd/rude to say, but whatever. If I want to wear a ring on my left ring finger I'm going to do it, regardless of whether people make assumptions about it.

I know some men do check out a girl's left ring finger as a mean of determining availability. When I was single and clubbing with my girlfriends, I worn a marquise sapphire/diamond to avoid being approached by men. Because of my age at the time and looking much younger than I was, some asked if I was really taken because of the ring. So I tend to wear it on the left ring finger to avoid men while on my right ring finger if I wanted to be approached. For me, the same ring cannot fit both my ring and middle fingers, so I didn't have the luxury of switching fingers.

^Yup. I make it a point to wear my diamond ring that looks a lot like an engagement ring on my left ring finger when I go clubbing or to the gym. Those are the places I get hit on the most (yes, the gym), so that's like my way of pretending I'm taken. lol.

I get annoyed when i'm 'not allowed' to wear certain rings on certain fingers! I am engaged but i sometimes wear 'anniversary or celebration' rings stacked with my e-ring from time to time. I've been approached by older women saying ''you shouldn't wear a ring with your e-ring!!!''
I shouldn't have to justify what i do to a stranger!! Some ppl are nosey lol :smile:

If I saw someone wearing a ring on the fourth finger of her left hand, I would probably assume she was married/engaged unless the ring really didn't look like a wedding/engagement ring.

I dont think so.. but some people are.. well stupid.

i wear a ring on my right ring finger.. cant tell you how many times i have been asked if i am engaged... and i say.. wrong hand. it doesnt even look like an engagement ring.