Does a No refunds or Returns clause really help?

Punkyp

Newbie Lamb Lover!!
Aug 16, 2008
I clearly have listed on my auction no refunds or returns unless item is deemed not authentic (fortunately it's a brand w/ no known fakes). Is that really a protection for me? Does that stick with Paypal & ebay if the buyer files a claim?

No it doesn't, because you can't override the law of the country/region you reside in, or eBay and PP rules.

Of course, you can, currently, put what you like re. returns in your listing, despite this and it may put people off buying if they're not 100% sure and are unaware of their legal rights and/or PP rules.

I think that saying that you don't accept returns can help, in a way. How many fakers put a clause in, that "100% authentic or your money back"? It seems to me that they're counting on the returns and cancelled transactions to avoid negative feedback. "So you're saying that the bag we sent you is a fake? Please send it back and we'll give you a full refund, no problem!" Perhaps buyers are a little less cautious when buying with a big money back guarantee in their faces.

I would say the "no return" clause would disuade but not prevent a buyer from requesting a return. I don't say anything and would prefer not to deal with a return (and haven't yet, touch wood) but I really don't like disputes so I would probably take it back rather than fight. I don't understand the value of saying "returns only if not authentic". If you are 100% sure a bag is authentic is that not a bit oxymoronish? That statement makes me a bit uneasy - but maybe that's just me.

I agree. Most buyers won't push it if you say no returns. I have "no Returns" in my auctions but occassionally I make an exception but will charge 15% restocking. Unless it is my fault, then I allow it and do a full refund.

No. "Final sale/no returns" means nothing. Ebay is working in the favor of buyer and if they say they want to return an item - no matter what you say in your auction -- they can. Now maybe some people with a moral compass might think twice before winning, developing buyers remorse, and returning the item, but certainly not many. Ebay will rule in their favor so they know they can go whatever their whims take them.:cursing:

IF the buyer files a SNAD claim and PayFoe rules in the buyer's favor--more likely than not, though sometimes sellers do prevail--then your return policy won't make a different. Nonetheless, fBay recently announced that it would require seller's to state a return policy in their listings, whether or not it can be enforced. The change was supposed to take place in October and was later moved to after the holidays.

[source: fBay]

The new enforcement date for mandatory Return Policy and Handling Time will be in early 2009. To give sellers adequate time to get their listings ready, we’ll be giving sellers at least 30 days notice before we start enforcement.
I also wanted to take this opportunity to clear up a couple of questions around Return Policy.

Do I have to accept returns?
We encourage you to accept returns, as this increases buyer satisfaction. However, you do not have to accept returns. You may specify “No Returns Accepted” as your return policy.

Thank you all for your replies. That's so weird that we all have a different take on things- I always felt more comfortable when a seller says "return allowed only if fake"- I take it to mean they are confident that their item isn't a fake. But I definitely see the other's ladies point who see it differently. Thank you!

I think some may see that and not bother returning but if an ebayer is that determined to return an item nothing you put in your auction is going to matter since ebay will just overrule you most of the time anyway. Like someone who's read the rules.