Documenting Chanel CC markings through time

Is it cool if a brand new Jumbo with gold hardware made in France has the little square on the bottom right hand side? Most have them on the upper but a new one my mother purchased from Neimans has this on the bottom right and I was concerned. Thanks!

echo, the only time there are markings on the CCs is whenthey are plated with 22K gold/alloy (hence the symbol for 22K gold). That is the only reason for the markings. I believe you don't see the markings on silver hardware. As far as vintage, I don't own any so I can't help you. But my beige med classic flap gold hdware has that mark in the top left corner to symbolise 22K plating.

I didn't know it means the gold plated! I have a mini flap with golden hardware, I will try to take pics of the small logo on the CC!

Thank you for sharing! :yes:

Well, it is not only Chanel who uses it to mark it as 24 karats gold plated. ( actually, one means 24 karats ). All the French jewelry are marked this way for people to know how much gold there is in it. Most of French jewelry are 24 karats gold plated not 14 like her ein the USA. The higher the number is the more gold there is. When there are two stamps, it means that it is gold filled. Ad to that it does not matter where they stamp it. It is like a certification. I own a Chanel brooch that is stamped this way too. So, just to let you know, not only Chanel uses it.

Reactions: YBcozYnot
Ok, I forgot I am from France. Married a US citizen and ended up here in the USA. I miss Francec soooooooooooooooo much!.... So justto let you know that I just don't threw this from nowhere!

Square on the right......
picture_29480.jpg

Square on the left.....
picture_31193.jpg

Three Stroke top left......
picture_29919.jpg

This Stamp is the W or M or maybe even a fancy H (it's some kind of symbol).....
picture_30735.jpg

Is there anyone out there who has a vintage Chanel with the marking on the top of the right CC? Thanks in advance.

My Jumbo is about 20 years old and was recently redyed. The marking is on the upper right, but the dye either covered the gold, or the gold fell out, LOL. In any case the impression is there

http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w345/baglover/?action=view&current=IMG_0334.jpg

http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w345/baglover/?action=view&current=IMG_0335.jpg

Probably a bit off topic, but I'm getting ready to purchase a bag over the phone. I asked the SA what color the hardware was and he said, "it's a white gold color." Wouldn't that be silver-tone? Or is it a white gold plating?
Interesting topic, this.
I'm going to go check my Medallion tote, which is my only gold hardware Chanel bag.

--Judy

Probably a bit off topic, but I'm getting ready to purchase a bag over the phone. I asked the SA what color the hardware was and he said, "it's a white gold color." Wouldn't that be silver-tone? Or is it a white gold plating?
Interesting topic, this.
I'm going to go check my Medallion tote, which is my only gold hardware Chanel bag.

--Judy

I've never heard of white gold plating on Chanel. :confused1: Maybe he meant silver.