Do your friends know what Bal is? If so, do they have as many as you?

purses & pugs

@pursesandpugs
O.G.
Oct 26, 2009
I'm curious because none of my friends knew what Bal was when I got my first one. I was so exited and wanted to share my happiness, but it was more like "oh, it's nice, what is it? Huh? a Balenciago?". At that time I was not a tpf member (I was so late for tpf...lol!) so I did not have you guys to share my new Bal addiction with:P

Even BF knows more about Bal than my friends! i.e. the difference between RH and GH and the differenst styles, but, hrrm, that might be because I very often talk about what my next Bal purchase will be and what bag I dream about...!

Now, several Bals later, they still hardly know what it is! Well, they know because they see my bags, but they don't know know... It probably has a lot to do with where we live. Norway is a small country it's not like there are a lot of designer boutiques here. There are some, but that's other brands like LV, Mulberry, etc. But still, I know what Bal is and have known for years??!

I live in the metro D.C. area of the U.S. and my friends have no idea what a Balenciaga bag is and how much it costs - they are all middle class Moms like myself - I just have a very expensive secret addiction.....

My friends only know since I have had to tell them what they are when they see me carrying one. Actually most of them love Balenciagas once they see them and maybe they are even the most popular of all my purses. When they see a new one - "OH? Another with the big thimbles?!" I am lucky to have a built-in friend - Susieserb, my sister - to talk Balenciaga with. Susie and I were suspicious of Bal bags at first. They seemed so insubstantial and flat. How could they look good on? And then we had the opportunity to try one on and POW - just like that! Instant love!

Only 2 out of all of my friends know about Balenciaga...and that's because of me. :graucho: But before I moved to my current school, my friends in my previous school loves Bal. We even had a couple of guys and girls wearing Bals in school. In a way I kinda like the fact that not many people know about Bal..gives me the possibility of buying more without being judged like when someone keeps changing lv bags. And yes, the do have many (if not more than me!). One of my friends has a ton of GCH bags in almost all the colors. Another has only day bags. And of course, my GF has some Bals too. :P

No way.....they don't have a clue and I just don't say a word because they would think I have lost my mind paying more than a little bit for a purse. I don't want them making remarks to my DH either. He doesn't know what they are either! Lol!! :nuts: :nogood: :sweatdrop:

Most of my friends are in their late 50s (I'm in my late 40s) and are rewarding themselves with $2k-worth LVs and Pradas. I got an MBMJ, only one recognized it because her daughters keep her up to date. I will be getting a Bal soon (or an Alexander Wang duffle, still contemplating), I bet the same friend will recognize it and another will be curious...then she'll start recognizing them in the streets (she works in NYC)...then I'm sure she'll get one for herself. LOL

Last edited:
My primary residence is in Kansas City. Sadly, we have no Bal retailers locally. Some of my close girlfriends recognize Bbags, but I am the only one in the group who makes the effort to buy them. I travel frequently for work, so I am able to check out all of the styles and colors IRL and either buy in person or feel confident ordering online. (I also like to buy broken-in bags from auction sites when I am positive that they are authentic. Nothing beats a nicely broken-in Bal in mint condition!!)

Some of my co-workers who travel a lot also wear Bals, but they are few and far between. I am in my early 30s, single and childless living in the Midwest - so I have plenty of expendable cash. Many of my employees/coworkers are in their mid- to late-20s, living in more expensive cities and still paying off student loans.

I really enjoy my bags, and I also enjoy the hunt for new treasures. I fully understand that it's not a necessity, it's almost like a hobby and it's something that makes me feel good. I would be embarassed if anyone in my close circle calculated how much I spend on handbags, clothes and shoes. I probably don't want to do that myself, either!! ;)

I love the fact that most people don't recognize Bbags. They say "I love your bag!" rather than, "Is that a Balenciaga?" I don't want to be a walking label.

I really enjoy reading you guys posts. Sometimes I get the impression that I'm the only one with a Bbag addiction with frineds who don't have a clue what it is, but clearly I'm not alone!! But as many of you say, it is a good thing because then do not carry the same bags as everyone else around us.

My friends know that a Bbag is expensive, but do not know exactly how much it cost (sadly I think BF knows!) and that's a good thing so they don't think of me as a complete mainiac! But sometimes it would also have been nice if someone actually knew how exclusive and special a Bbag is;)

None of my friends have a clue about Balenciaga! AND I honestly like it that way! If they knew how much they cost, I think they'd commit me! Only one friend of mine have I shared my handbag addiction with b/c I know she won't judge and she knows and can appreciate them.