Do your bags have a "job" to do?

bubbles328

Mar 16, 2010
Like, does each bag have a specific purpose? Or do you just chose what you want to carry in the morning?

for example, I own two 'larger' bags--a classic Speedy 35 (mono) and a Neverfull (DE). both are very old. while sometimes I bring them to work, I have a hard time thinking of them as 'work' bags--just something about throwing lunch and gym clothes into a LV bag. lol. they would also be great for travel--except that I never think i'm traveling to a place 'worthy' of a LV--If that makes sense? going to a Caribbean resort, for example, usually makes me take my Le Pliage instead.

I have a pochette accessories and a strap--and that, in my mind, is my weekend bag.

i'm about to get a new bag--strongly considering an alma BB or the South Bank Besace. both would likely become a casual weekend bag...
how do you assign your bag to your day? do you ever feel guilty for getting a new bag and 'neglecting' older ones?

Reactions: USCGirlie
Yep mine sure does! From a dudes perspective, I use my Keepall 50B as my gym bag/travel bag (so it doesn't sit there gaining dust - gets taken out 4/5 times a week), my Speedy 40B for when I need to take a few things for work/uni and the Abbesses for when I just need to take lesser things, the (vintage) Trocadero for going out and about, running errands that don't require a laptop.

I have a vintage Epi Porte Document Senateur Briefcase Clutch(?) on its way from Japan, it's essentially a traditional briefcase, no handle on top and only one compartment (so its thin) and that one is going to be used as my formal meeting/presentation bag as well as when I wanna wear all black, I can take a black LV bag (because the others are all brown).

Also in the near future I want to add a Taiga Porte Document PM in Ocean (navy blue colour) and that would act as my work bag when I am wearing a lot of blue (which I do) and I am on the hunt for a unicorn, a Nomade Sac Plat and that would act as my discreet formal brown business bag.

As you can tell in my current LV bag collection and also future additions - I intend to have an even split between leather pieces and also canvas pieces. They all serve a certain purpose, meaning that I can get an equal amount of use them that works/ potentially works well for my lifestyle.

I also have a very minimal SLG collection so everything I use inside my bags just gets transferred from one bag to another and also each piece gets used as well!

Yes! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to think like this and even my SLGs have a job.

I have 4 everyday bags that I rotate - 2 larger (Pallas Shopper and Flanderin) and two smaller (Pallas BB and Alma BB). Each has 2-3 SLGs that serve a specific organizational purpose.

I have 2 dress bags that I rarely use but adore - 1 large (Capucines MM) and 1 small (Love Note). I have a SLG for the Capucines but really don't have the need for one with the Love Note.

Since you mentioned travel, that is my most used collection of bags! I travel at least once per month either for a long weekend or a couple of weeks. I can't bring myself to invest in a checked LV piece but what I've found works for my hand carry and daily needs when traveling... The Neo Greenwich PM is the perfect weekend or under the seat size. It typically contains my Pallas Clutch (versatile enough for day and evening use when necessary), my Toilet Pouch PM, my Cosmetic Pouch and two Pocket Organizers (1 with personal cards and 1 with business cards). The Pocket Organizers are the perfect SLGs to pop in and out of the Pallas Clutch. It took me 2 years make a decision about investing in travel pieces but I'm so please with the style, durability and functionality of the items I selected. If you are on the fence about a travel investment - I highly recommend it!

Reactions: L.Vuitton.Freak
My two work bags are DE Totally PM and mono NF MM, their job is to carry my work stuff, my mono Speedy B 30 is my travel bag, all other bags are much smaller and their job is to complement my outfit.

Reactions: Chenai
Yes! Each of my speedy's has a job, and my slg's too. Knowing their job helps me to not buy extras "just because." My classic Speedy 30 is a carry on, and it's very used. She's been offroading in the desert. My Speedy b 30 & 35 are work bags, based on the time of year or how much I'm carrying. Two accessory pochettes (one in monogram, one in azure) are for times when I'm going light weight, and I have long cross body straps that I use.
All my SLGs are used in the Speedy b 35, and two would come out in the 30. I don't have spares just sitting around.
I would love a Speedy b 40 in monogram, and also an azure Speedy b in 35 likely, but can't justify either at the moment. I don't have ( or want) to carry enough to fill the 40, and the azure would make me a nervous wreck to actually carry, being so white. In short, they don't have a job! So no deal. I always say, I can only carry one bag at a time.

Yes, I have a NF GM that I only use for travel. My WOC only gets used when I travel to certain places and the rare nice dinner out, but I'm just as likely to grab my Alma BB noir for that. I have a very old Speedy DA that I use as a "junk" bag-like to football games where I might have to treat a bag poorly, but still want my LV. Petite Noe in Noir is my every day winter bag, Neverfull DA MM is my daily summer bag. And finally, my Celine Nano in Souris is a bag I will use for any day or any occasion b/c I think it can be dressed up or down and carries the perfect a amount. I forgot my Hermes Eveylyne. I need to use that one as often as my Celine-it's an every day bag, I just hesitate b/c I think of it as precious. I need to get over that.

I never thought about them as having jobs, that's a good way to think about it.

Reactions: monkey88
Yes, I have a NF GM that I only use for travel. My WOC only gets used when I travel to certain places and the rare nice dinner out, but I'm just as likely to grab my Alma BB noir for that. I have a very old Speedy DA that I use as a "junk" bag-like to football games where I might have to treat a bag poorly, but still want my LV. Petite Noe in Noir is my every day winter bag, Neverfull DA MM is my daily summer bag. And finally, my Celine Nano in Souris is a bag I will use for any day or any occasion b/c I think it can be dressed up or down and carries the perfect a amount. I forgot my Hermes Eveylyne. I need to use that one as often as my Celine-it's an every day bag, I just hesitate b/c I think of it as precious. I need to get over that.

I never thought about them as having jobs, that's a good way to think about it.
I was thinking of buying a Woc for the same purpose. Are you still glad to have the Neverfull and Woc in your collection doing the jobs they do?

Yes they do!

DE Neverfull Mm - workhorse bag, anytime I need a big bag I don’t want to worry about

Mono Neverfull GM - workhorse bag #2, will mainly be used for Actual work when I need to carry my laptop

Celine Mini Luggage - adore this bag and still get butterflies when I look at her, but she’s so heavy! I bring her somewhere I want to show off but need to be reasonable because she isn’t the best to walk around with

Chanel - (my least used bag) fancy dinners or work parties

Givenchy crossbody (forgot the name) - anytime I can carry minimal stuff and use a crossbody bag!

Balenciaga city - if I’m wearing something that doesn’t match with my LV patterns, this is my go to daily bag

Mine bags’ job is to look pretty. When I take one out for a spin :panic:, the other ones get jealous but that’s not my problem. ;) I go through phases with my slg. I like to rotate them so they all stay relatively new looking. Typically I would use one for 2-3 weeks then they go back to my slg drawer to recoup for months until I get to them again....sometimes in a few months, sometimes over a year depending on how often LV comes out with new shiny things...:drool: