Do you wear ALL the clothes in your closet?

I’ve read that statistics suggest that the average woman wears 20% of her clothes 80% of the time. So, basically, most of us wear only 20% of our clothing on a regular basis..... I think this might be accurate of me if I didn’t count the items I do wear, but just not very often.... Ouch!

Antonia (great bump!) IN ANSWER to the thread question: I obviously don't. I keep pulling out clothes that I forget I had - clothes I still love and fit me. Fantastic fun clothes that need to be dry cleaned after wearing and may include Heels. Forget about KonMari - I did that and found that many things still sparked joy even though I haven't worn for a long time....

And I wonder why I'm running out of closet space!

diane278 - the Pareto Effect (80/20 rule) somehow works for everything doesn't it?

Maybe it's because I live 80% of the time wearing the same ol' boring WAHM clothes (20% of closet) and really live for the 20% of my life when I get to wear what's in 80% of my closet!!!!

Reactions: BBC and papertiger
Antonia (great bump!) IN ANSWER to the thread question: I obviously don't. I keep pulling out clothes that I forget I had - clothes I still love and fit me. Fantastic fun clothes that need to be dry cleaned after wearing and may include Heels. Forget about KonMari - I did that and found that many things still sparked joy even though I haven't worn for a long time....

And I wonder why I'm running out of closet space!

diane278 - the Pareto Effect (80/20 rule) somehow works for everything doesn't it?

Maybe it's because I live 80% of the time wearing the same ol' boring WAHM clothes (20% of closet) and really live for the 20% of my life when I get to wear what's in 80% of my closet!!!!

Your words spark joy for me, so wonderfully, truthfully and cleverly put.

I do, almost 80% of my wardrobe!

I must be honest. Three years ago, I decided on a mummy uniform for school days which is white T(usually from H&M, Gap, Zara) and jeans(mostly Zara). To jazz up my day-to-day, i have more fun with my jewelry and accessories and shoes (lots of ferragamo color pieces varina flats).

Hubby and I do have regular date nights and nights out with friends. That’s when I wear the dresses and nice tops. I am proud to say that I still wear items that are 10 years old.

I know you have an amazing closet, beautifully organised and full of lovely things. Do you get round to wear them all?
Thank you LS!! Compared to so many people I know, I don't have a ton of clothes so I can see what I have and I do wear almost everything at some point or another. When you have an overstuffed closet, it's impossible to see everything let alone wear everything. I know a lot of people love the velvet huggable hangers but they are so thin and before you know it your closet is stuffed because you can fit more. This is why I use the wooden hangers, they take up more room so less room for clothes which means you have to be pickier about what's going in there. I want my closet to look like a little boutique! Less is more!! :smile:

Reactions: sneedonist and BBC
we moved recently so now yes, most of them
there are still a few things I probably should have donated
Then again, yesterday I went and got a top from the old house that I thought I might want to wear. Tried it on and decided probably not.

I try to wear everything in my closest. I have clothes that still have tags but when the occasion strikes to wear it, I'll be happy that I still have it. I've been trying to minimize the items in my closet. It's better than what I used to have in the past.

Thank you LS!! Compared to so many people I know, I don't have a ton of clothes so I can see what I have and I do wear almost everything at some point or another. When you have an overstuffed closet, it's impossible to see everything let alone wear everything. I know a lot of people love the velvet huggable hangers but they are so thin and before you know it your closet is stuffed because you can fit more. This is why I use the wooden hangers, they take up more room so less room for clothes which means you have to be pickier about what's going in there. I want my closet to look like a little boutique! Less is more!! :smile:

I'm with you about "hangers" & agree that less is more.