Home & Garden do you watch HGTV?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
my DH actually watches more than I do but I like Chip and Joanna Gaines on Fixer Upper; love her style.
I find those twins smug and don't think they're as creative.
Anyone else watch these shows?

Only when on vacation.
Nice activity, if weather turns sour. Or need rest time.

Love when they take a normal home, then blow out sides, add patio kitchen & fireplace, 6 car garage.
Maybe decorate child's room in some f***ed up version of CSI type show. With huge magnifying glass stuck on wall. And painted fingerprints.
I imagine the property tax bill, for next year. Then eat junk food & giggle.
As the thrilled television family bounces around its new sauna area & horse stable.

But, actually DOING things seen on hgtv?
No.
Just fun escape from reality.:biggrin:

I do and have for years ever since "Trading Spaces." I like House Hunters International, Property Brothers, and just saw a few episodes of Fixer Upper which seems too scripted but I love the befores/afters.

Only when on vacation.

Nice activity, if weather turns sour. Or need rest time.

Love when they take a normal home, then blow out sides, add patio kitchen & fireplace, 6 car garage.

Maybe decorate child's room in some f***ed up version of CSI type show. With huge magnifying glass stuck on wall. And painted fingerprints.

I imagine the property tax bill, for next year. Then eat junk food & giggle.

As the thrilled television family bounces around its new sauna area & horse stable.

But, actually DOING things seen on hgtv?

No.

Just fun escape from reality.:biggrin:

Totally not reality.
When you start to think 40k for a powder room reno is "not so bad" it's time to turn it off.

All the time. And diy network.

It's a nice break from x and blood and gore.

I do learn a lot, mostly from rehab addict and decked out (which I don't think has made it over to hgtv from diy network). I wouldn't have one of those deck configurations but I always learn about a new material or technique.

I love fixer upper, mostly for the exteriors since curb appeal is nowhere to be found. Love the farm and silo scenes too. The newer fixup shows are not bad - I think one is called good bones (they find cool houses) and another is listed sisters, and there is one in new orleans IIRC. Desperate Landscapes is good eye candy. Property Brothers and Love it or List it only at reveal time because the voices are annoying. House Hunters Reno if they pick a really rundown house - but I rarely am fond of the reveals.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the time. And diy network.

It's a nice break from x and blood and gore.

I do learn a lot, mostly from rehab addict and decked out (which I don't think has made it over to hgtv from diy network). I wouldn't have one of those deck configurations but I always learn about a new material or technique.

I love fixer upper, mostly for the exteriors since curb appeal is nowhere to be found. Love the farm and silo scenes too. The newer fixup shows are not bad - I think one is called good bones (they find cool houses) and another is listed sisters, and there is one in new orleans IIRC. Desperate Landscapes is good eye candy. Property Brothers and Love it or List it only at reveal time because the voices are annoying. House Hunters Reno if they pick a really rundown house - but I rarely am fond of the reveals.
I know a lot of these shows are probably scripted but a lot of the people (I'm thinking on Love it or Leave it and some of the shows where they're shopping for houses) come off as so spoiled and entitled.

I like the woman on Love it or Leave It. I saw Julianne Moore on a talk show one time and she was saying she watches these shows and commented how this woman fixes the house up so beautifully and then the homeowner doesn't appreciate it. Made Julianne seem very accessible. :smile:

I love fixer upper- I'm so envious of how 'cheap' it is to buy property there and get these massive renovations done!

Least favorite show is Flip or Flop. Not a fan of Christina's taste, and they're so obviously scripted.

I love fixer upper- I'm so envious of how 'cheap' it is to buy property there and get these massive renovations done!

Least favorite show is Flip or Flop. Not a fan of Christina's taste, and they're so obviously scripted.
I know....prices are so cheap where they are compared to CA. and they always do older homes with character

I am addicted to HGTV. If I couldn't watch it at the gym, I would never (probably) get on the elliptical.

What blows me away is the prices on House Hunter International--I can understand the absolutely enchanting 4th floor apartment in Paris costing an arm and a leg, but a little dumpy place with no appliances in St Kitts?

And some of it has to be scripted when you have people from like the middle of Canada (or my way too-cold location) whining that it will take 10 minutes to get to the beach from their new house in Bermuda--whaa whaa. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get to the "beach" from where I live--and the beach is on Lake Michigan, and we're lucky if the water gets to 70 by August!

But I just love these shows nonetheless. :love:

I occasionally tune into Flip or Flop and Fixer Upper. Less out of entertainment, and more so for decorating/staging ideas or a visualization on how I may be able to convert my Jack & Jill bathroom in the foreseeable future. I can get a better idea with those than on Houzz or Pinterest. If I weren't about to move forward with that, I probably wouldn't tune in at all.

I am addicted to HGTV. If I couldn't watch it at the gym, I would never (probably) get on the elliptical.

What blows me away is the prices on House Hunter International--I can understand the absolutely enchanting 4th floor apartment in Paris costing an arm and a leg, but a little dumpy place with no appliances in St Kitts?

And some of it has to be scripted when you have people from like the middle of Canada (or my way too-cold location) whining that it will take 10 minutes to get to the beach from their new house in Bermuda--whaa whaa. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get to the "beach" from where I live--and the beach is on Lake Michigan, and we're lucky if the water gets to 70 by August!

But I just love these shows nonetheless. :love:
I know....some of those people act so spoiled
How about the young people in their 20's who must have a high end kitchen and think carpet is disgusting?

I know....some of those people act so spoiled
How about the young people in their 20's who must have a high end kitchen and think carpet is disgusting?

Spoiled is right.
I always wonder why they need a high end kitchen: so they can microwave pizza?
And why does a twenty something NEED a spa bathroom? Think life is stressful now, add a kid or two. Maybe some aging parents. See how much time you have to spend in the jetted tub.

I love hgtv! What I hate in all renovation shows is that they don't leave budget for unexpected fixes. They always end up busting the budget or don't finish some projects due to lack of money.