Home & Garden Do you wash new bed linens before putting them on your bed?

la miss

parigote
May 4, 2007
Or do you use sheets straight out of the package? What about quilts? Does a quilt have to go to the cleaners first or is it ok to take it out of the package and put it straight on the bed?

I always wash my sheets, towels, blankets, & duvet covers before using. I would not wash a comforter or coverlet or quilt before using because I don't sleep with those "on" me. instead I fold them down at the bottom of the bed or take them off the bed entirely when I go to sleep.

Goes straight on the bed. I figure it's brand new, still in a package, sealed, so it's clean enough.

this reminds me that the biggest reason why I wash everything before I use it is that linens often have a weird odor to them...that "new" smell. my allergies are very sensitive to smells, so I need to get rid of that (& whatever chemicals are causing it) right away.

YES!!!
Just like F&F said, sheets, towels, etc. . . anything that TOUCHES me.
There is "sizing" added to all new products {clothing, sheets, etc...} to make them stay wrinkle free and new looking, you do not want to roll around in it. . . . icky.

Wash wash wash, never know where it came from. Or how the factories are, and the residue on the material. Good to wash it.

I don't know what kind of quilt you got, but if it's washable then that's fine, but they're not meant to go directly on you, there is a sheet in between usually. If it's a duvet then it has a cover so you can wash the cover.

YES!!!
Just like F&F said, sheets, towels, etc. . . anything that TOUCHES me.
There is "sizing" added to all new products {clothing, sheets, etc...} to make them stay wrinkle free and new looking, you do not want to roll around in it. . . . icky.

is that what the "smell" is? sizing? am I even making sense (I am tired, & am dying to crawl under my freshly laundered sheets :P)? maybe it's just my sensitive nose, & I'm the only one who notices a smell.

but adding to what swanky said, the "sizing" is the reason why I DON'T wash the comforter/quilt/coverlet. somehow in my willy-wonka-type mind I think that the manufacturer puts something on the fabric that makes it stain resistant. & when you have 2 large labrador retrievers, that is a very good thing! ;) but again, those things don't touch me. when it's cold, I sleep with a down comforter inside of a duvet cover (that is washed).

& don't even get me started on my oxyclean, fabric softer, dryer sheet rituals...

when I worked in retail I learned it was "sizing" once. It makes clothing looks so starched and pristine, seems to resist wrinkling so I bet stains at first as well.

LOL! I know, we're a plethora of obscure information aren't we?
There's also "brightening agents" in new things, that's why they look so different, less bright after a wash or 2. . . it's really so silly.