Do you value bags more than your dental health?

She may be terrified of dental work...or in denial. Many people have a serious fear of the dentist and will put off a visit until a problem can no longer be ignored. Money can sometimes be the reason, but sensitivity and pain might be a bigger factor. Time can also be a problem. Having serious work done takes a bit of time.

1000% true

I hate paying for the dentist. I hate paying for the privilege of being in pain and I certainly hate paying the prices I do. I know it's necessary so I do it, but I don't blame people from being shy of it and wanting something more pleasurable for the cash.

I work in a dental office, and recently we had a patient who came in with a toothache, she needs a root canal, and also has a few broken fillings which needs to be addressed as well before it's too late. She is carrying everything designer, LV bag, LV wallet, Chanel sunglasses, etc.

However, the lady only wanted to have basic/temp treatment to get her out of pain and do not want to address the other issues she is having which could potentially lead to something bigger and cost more, because she has to purchase a new wallet.

Realistically saying, if she can layoff one of the purse for later, she will be able to afford the treatment. I found it hard to understand because as much as I am a Louis Vuitton fan, i will never put off dental treatment first before anything, at the end of day, I would like to keep my teeth as long as possible.

In her words, she is no longer in pain, she doesn't see why we need to cap it for long term, and she is not going to die from broken fillings.

I am just wondering do most people not value dental health as it is not life threatening (unlike other medical treatments) and rather spend on purses.
I wouldn't be buying luxury anything if my next handbag purchase would mean I can't afford dental care.

She may be terrified of dental work...or in denial. Many people have a serious fear of the dentist and will put off a visit until a problem can no longer be ignored. Money can sometimes be the reason, but sensitivity and pain might be a bigger factor. Time can also be a problem. Having serious work done takes a bit of time.

When it comes to spending time with people, I think lovely teeth will say more about you than a lovely bag. I bought my bag for the year. My next little splurge will by two rounds of in-office whitenings. Guess I need to "pay the piper" for all that Pinot. :shucks:

This is so me...I'm absolutely terrified of the dentist. Will go for a simple clean up-not for X-rays, any serious work! Thank to my child hood memory of visiting a dentist for first time. I literally cried, been slapped twice for crying, taunted, slapped again for trying to kick the dentist for being mean. Been stuck with that fake *** dentist for years as a child...

Last edited:
Seems like she doesn't have her priorities straight. Obviously most people prefer a day out shopping over getting a root canal, but there is this little thing called being a rational and responsible adult. Neglecting your dental health will end up costing you way more than some wallet in the end anyway.

Did you ask her what wallet she was planning on purchasing though? That would make me kinda curious! Lol!

I have a serious phobia of dentist.... what would u call it?...... Dentalphobia? It's true....I haven't been to one for the last 13 years. And when I bring my son, I honestly cringe and wince even though it's not my teeth.

On the bright side, she won't have to worry about her dental health once she has dentures. :P

I love Louis Vuitton, but it's not a priority - health and financial security are priorities.
Well said!! I completely agree.

My teeth have always given me a bit of trouble and I look after them very carefully, she will be very sorry one day that she didn't look after her teeth. I hate going to the dentist but the longer you leave dental problems the worse they get. It sounds like this lady has some issues, I also love LV but my health definitely comes first!!

This is so me...I'm absolutely terrified of the dentist. Will go for a simple clean up-not for X-rays, any serious work! Thank to my child hood memory of visiting a dentist for first time. I literally cried, been slapped twice for crying, taunted, slapped again for trying to kick the dentist for being mean. Been stuck with that fake *** dentist for years as a child...

I am sorry that you had such traumatic experience when you were young. But most of us genuinely cares about our patients oral well being. Find a dentist you trust and establish a good relationship with him/her, you will be fine. :cool:

Seems like she doesn't have her priorities straight. Obviously most people prefer a day out shopping over getting a root canal, but there is this little thing called being a rational and responsible adult. Neglecting your dental health will end up costing you way more than some wallet in the end anyway.

Did you ask her what wallet she was planning on purchasing though? That would make me kinda curious! Lol!

I didn't, I thought it would be very rude of me asking her why she wants to buy a purse instead, since at the end of the day, its her choice. :P