Travel Do you use the airport lounges?

Oct 16, 2007
I am switching my amex to a platinum and while I am very familiar with the travel planning services they offer (my parents use them frequently, so helpful!), I have never had my own card to take advantage of lounge entry, and have never actually been inside an airport lounge. All I know is that many are closing in different airports but with a platinum card I can be granted access to certain ones.

So..do you use them? Any pros or cons? I am thinking it might be most helpful around holiday time or if I needed to do some work/make phone calls and it is crowded at the gate. Thanks!

^^I use them when i can if i have a long layover. They offer nicer bathrooms, comfy seating, food, some have computer acess and wifi. Just somewhere to hang out other than at the gate

I use them when I fly Delta, Northwest, and Continental and LOVE the peace and quiet they provide. (except Atlanta is always super crowded and overrun with children.) It's nice if you want a drink, or if you just want a comfy chair. Thumbs up!

Definitely one of the best perks when travelling. Somewhere much quieter than the madness of terminals, free snacks and drinks, great bathrooms and computer access - love them!

I only utilize the good airport lounges. Most of the US airline lounges aren't that much better than the common areas in the airport, but BA, Virgin, and Singapore Airlines have AMAZING lounges (luxury shower facilities, hot meals, massages/spa treatments, fully stocked bar, etc).

If I have time before my flight I will choose to hang out in the lounge. Its usually much cleaner and relaxing. Nice bathrooms, decent food magazines etc and comfy seating. In my experience you usually get access to the lounge if you have a business or first class ticket or like the OP is talking about as a priveldge with her card.

^^for first and business travel, one gets access if it is international. First and business domestic (US) *normally* don't get this perk although it may differ on flights to Hawaii.. not sure.

I only utilize the good airport lounges. Most of the US airline lounges aren't that much better than the common areas in the airport, but BA, Virgin, and Singapore Airlines have AMAZING lounges (luxury shower facilities, hot meals, massages/spa treatments, fully stocked bar, etc).

Wow....I wish the ones I went to had showers and spa. My biggest thing though is...why don't any of them have cardio equipment??? I would love to hop on a treadmill to get the blood flowing between long flights.

I am switching my amex to a platinum and while I am very familiar with the travel planning services they offer (my parents use them frequently, so helpful!), I have never had my own card to take advantage of lounge entry, and have never actually been inside an airport lounge. All I know is that many are closing in different airports but with a platinum card I can be granted access to certain ones.

So..do you use them? Any pros or cons? I am thinking it might be most helpful around holiday time or if I needed to do some work/make phone calls and it is crowded at the gate. Thanks!
Just be aware that with Platinum AmEx, you can only use Continental/Delta/Northwest lounges IF you are travelling on that airline. And if the airline doesn't have a lounge in an airport, you are SOL. I was flying CO from Jacksonville...no President's Club in Jax, so I tried to get in Delta's Club...no dice. It really sucked because my flight was delayed four hours and I was travelling with my 7 year old. :sad: