Food Do you use a water filter?

Feb 8, 2008
Hubby and I recently got a Brita pitcher...we have been drinking out of the tap in our condo for two years now since we purchased our home, but we figured filtering the water wouldn't hurt. It's only two of us plus our cat so the pitcher (good for 10 cups) is good enough. I have started serving our kitty filtered water from it too...:P We figured our municipality water might be clean, but our condo building was built in the 60's...who knows what rust and stuff could be in the pipes that eventually contaminate our water.

Does anyone else use filters? We have stopped buying bottled water due to cost and environmental reasons. We only get it if we're going on a road trip or something.

I tried filters, but my water is so hard and gross that they didn't work. You run the water and it smells like sulfur. The smell never went away w/ filtering and it still tasted awful. I end up buying the 2.5 gallon dispenser that sits in the fridge for drinking water but don't buy individual bottles.

We use a water filter also (Brita).

Our apartment complex was built in the seventies and the fridge does not have a water/ice dispenser built in (not sure how old the fridge is; probably a few years old). My fiance (who is very OCD and germophobic) hates drinking tap water. So we got a Brita water pitcher and have been using that for a few months. It's been working pretty well so far. We fill our water bottles with it when we leave the house (we are both big water drinkers).

This might be an extreme reaction, but a few months ago, I noticed that my icemaker was churning out ice cubes that seemed to have film on them.

I ended up buying a new refrigerator with an internal water dispenser. Not only does the water taste much better than it did when I used a Brita pitcher, the internal filter lasts a lot longer and is ultimately cheaper...and the water comes out nice and cold!

I used to use a Brita when I lived in a city and loved it. I've since moved to the mountains and the tap water is better than most bottled so I've given it away. Nice of you to include your kitty in your clean water allowance!!

I used to drink bottled water a lot but decided to resurrect my Brita so I wouldn't be dumping all that plastic. I drink more water when it is in my fridge in a cold pitcher, too.

I live in Los Angeles where the tap water tastes like you took it straight from someone's pool (that people have been swimming in all day too, yuck!), so I rely on my Brita filter! When I lived in San Francisco, the tap water tasted fine, so I never used one.