Food Do you use a microwave?

Jun 14, 2007
I have stopped using a microwave, because I have heard it can cause cancer. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather cook the slow way than get cancer. Just wondering if anyone has the same thoughts. Sometimes though, I'm so tempted to plug it back in.

Yes I do for quick reheating of leftovers. I don't know if it's the microwave per se, but I know quite a few containers are NOT meant to go in the microwave such as some plastics? THAT's the stuff that worries me the most about what could leech out. I also cover the food with a paper towel rather than plastic wrap now.

Awhile back I invested in some really nice Tupperware, including the type you can pop in the freezer and then throw in the microwave and there is a flip top vent so it's super easy to microwave. I wonder if that stuff is OK??

since we're on a topic about microwave.. is it really bad to microwave seafoods? i have never done it before, but my hubby was about to microwave shrimps before at work, then his co-worked told him not to because it can be poisonous(?). is that true?

ive heard that microwaves emit the same waves that cause cancer, but its such a small amount it cant harm you.

but i do NOT microwave in plastic containers like tupperware because i've heard that heating plastic like that can cause cancer.

since we're on a topic about microwave.. is it really bad to microwave seafoods? i have never done it before, but my hubby was about to microwave shrimps before at work, then his co-worked told him not to because it can be poisonous(?). is that true?

Honestly, I think they just don't want him to do it b/c fish and seafood stink usually when heated in a microwave and they don't want to smell it, esp. if it is a frozen dinner type of shrimp! :lol:

ive heard that microwaves emit the same waves that cause cancer, but its such a small amount it cant harm you.

but i do NOT microwave in plastic containers like tupperware because i've heard that heating plastic like that can cause cancer.

The snopes links talks about plastic in microwaves... Sadly, I don't put much stock in a lot of things that "cause" cancer, other than things like wear sunscreen, don't smoke, etc., otherwise what would we be able to do that doesn't cause cancer! It seems like they say everything causes it...

I really don't worry about the cancer risk. Unless you're sticking your face in front of the microwave door, I think you'll be fine. Besides, doesn't everything cause cancer nowadays? I use my microwave all the time.

i just dont like the way food comes out of it, so i dont use it. but about the cancer thing, it is something thats always in the back of my mind too. i feel like most of the things we rely on everyday emit a little bit and a little bit and a little bit but the more we're exposed, the worse off we are. microwaves are easy to cut out, cell phones (for me anyway) not so much...