do you treasure your RM (contemporary designer) bags as much as your Premier ones?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I know some of you have multiple premier bags and also love your RM bags. And I think most of us posting her lately have gotten our RM bags for a much lower price than people paid years ago. (or we have some that we paid close to FP for and some more recently acquired for much less)
I think from some of the posts I see that many do treasure the bags they paid $100 for as much as ones they paid much higher prices for.
For me I'm pretty ********ic in how I care for my bags. I'm pretty careful with all of them.
And when the premier bags get old (in terms of how long I've had them) they can become less interesting to me.
But maybe my most treasured bag right now is my Bal City. It's old but relatively new to me and I waited a long time to get a Bal bag.
Who has premier bags? Do you love them or treasure them more than your less expensive RM bags?

I have a mix of Premier bags/brands and Contemporary bags/brands. I love all of them - for different reasons.

I much prefer the leather of BV, The Row, and Bal to MK, Coach, or RM. Those three brands' leathers are divine! But I absolutely adore the oil slick hardware on my RM Mini-MAC - none of the hardware on my Premier bags comes close. My Marc Jacobs, I love the design and colors. Behno, Coach, and Aspinal of London, I love the designs. My Ferragamo bag, I love the color, leather, and quality. Fount, I love the leather and solid brass hardware. My Givenchy is my HG bag. My Ted Baker heart purses are fun, whimsical bags - no way I'm paying Premier brand pricing for a whimsical bag, but I love having those two bags.

I admit that I feel better taking my Contemporary bags out in bad weather and traveling, and don't baby them the way I often do my Premier brands - but I love being comfortable taking them out in bad weather and traveling. So in that way, I love them more than my Premier brands. But I love having my Premier bags when I want to 'dress up'.

I could never own only Premier bags, but I am so truly happy that I own some Premier bags. I'm also truly happy to own my Contemporary bags.

Anyway, enough rambling.

I have a mix of high end and contemporary. My contemporary are RM & Coach & Marc Jacobs (which used to be more of a premier brand but lately more of a contemporary brand) and for high end I have 2 LV's, 1 Chanel, & 2 Gucci's (one Boston bag and one clutch bag). I love them all but have been using my premier bags less and less since re-discovering my love of RM!
I know you love your RM bags, esp seeing the money and effort you've recently put into one of them. It's a shame IMO that Marc Jacobs merged MJ Collection with MBMJ. I've had a few MJ bags and still have one - black Blake. Nice but heavy with the suede lining.

I know you love your RM bags, esp seeing the money and effort you've recently put into one of them. It's a shame IMO that Marc Jacobs merged MJ Collection with MBMJ. I've had a few MJ bags and still have one - black Blake. Nice but heavy with the suede lining.
Yes, I have the blake hobo (or multi pocket hobo) in black with brown suede lining...very luxurious! I got on on The Real Real for less than $75.....and this is a bag that probably retailed for around $900 or so??

Reactions: Shelby33 and JenJBS
Yes, I have the blake hobo (or multi pocket hobo) in black with brown suede lining...very luxurious! I got on on The Real Real for less than $75.....and this is a bag that probably retailed for around $900 or so??
I got my Blake fairly recently (in the last two years). Probably paid too much for it but the black with gold HW seemed to be going for a higher price and it was in excellent condition. I still paid Much Less than original retail.
I saw one of the other MJ pushlock bags at the consignment store recently. It was suede lined. In decent conditon. they didn't even have it in the designer section and it was priced at something like $60 - sad.

I got my Blake fairly recently (in the last two years). Probably paid too much for it but the black with gold HW seemed to be going for a higher price and it was in excellent condition. I still paid Much Less than original retail.
I saw one of the other MJ pushlock bags at the consignment store recently. It was suede lined. In decent conditon. they didn't even have it in the designer section and it was priced at something like $60 - sad.
Speaking of MJ, I've been trying to find the Incognito in green. The retail price was crazy expensive and these bags are still listed at crazy prices. So some of his bags are still holding their value.

Reactions: JenJBS and sdkitty
I have no brand loyalty so I have a wide range of bags. And I love them all. However, I've been slowly getting rid of (some of) my luxury bags. I've come to realize I'm just not fancy enough for Chanel and LV and the quality is hit or miss. I like the look of them sitting on my shelf, but they just don't look great on me. OTOH, the RM MABs/MAMs are relaxed, feminine, and practical which is the vibe I'm feeling these days. Bal also hits those boxes. So the short answer is yes!

I wanted to mention that 90% of my bags were purchased 2nd hand.... I could not afford to buy any of them new!
back in the day I got most of my bags on sale at stores like Bloomies or for a discount at places like NR. These days they are pretty much all preloved
oh and I got several very nice Tods bags at the outlet (which is now closed)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shelby33
I don't have any premiere bags. I have had 3 MK Collection bags, don't know if that counts though and gave them to my mom. I have felt up lots of premiere bags though, wasn't impressed enough to spend that amount of money. All of the bags I've bought in the past five years have been preloved.