Do you think women should be in combat?

Oct 30, 2006
I used to think they shouldn't because they would get raped but I guess they know what the risks are so I guess they should be able to choose. I did hear a lengthy interview once recently on NPR about women saying the rate of women being sexually assaulted in the military is HUGE.

I believe it should be their choice, so it's nice that they get that opportunity now. I personally would not want to, but I definitely respect those who do.

I can imagine that rapes are much more common than they should be, and it's really sad that some men can't show the same level of respect to the female military members that they do to the males.

I think they should at least have the opportunity, and it's great that they're given it. I personally wouldn't do it, but I have lots of respect for those who choose to.

Sexual assault in the military never crossed my mind, but I don't find it surprising.

I'm not sure how long this thread will stay open so I will post my opinion quickly.

I believe women should be allowed in combat. They should be treated the same as their male counterparts and be able to take part in the same missions and the like.

As for rape / assault in the military: I think that's a whole other issue that has less to do with women and men, but more to do with the issue of isolation, a different frame of mind while in combat situations and (at times) a lack of proper discipline.

Sexual assault in the military never crossed my mind, but I don't find it surprising.

It is VERY prevalent and several high ranking officers in different branches of the Armed Forces have been brought down over it. There is a Brigadier General in the news right now facing Court Martial on those charges. The Training Command at Lackland AFB in Texas was recently reorganized because of it.

But, on topic, it's about skill and physical ability. If you can do the job, you should be able to.

The US is behind the rest of the world in allowing women in combat. It is about time they come around.

My hubby is a veteran and I asked him about it. He is fully supportive, but he understands the hesitation. He said he could not imagine having to watch a woman get tortured if she were captured. I think most men think the same way.

I think if a woman wants the job and can pass the test to get it she should be able to do so. In most cases men are psychically stronger but women can be just as strong or stronger mentally. I am glad to see it is possible for those that want it.

Absolutely NOT! I'm a firm believer in equal rights, especially if you are fully capable of doing the job (any job), but not when it comes to Women in Combat.

Care to share why?

As long as the female can meet the same standards, I don't see the problem. As for the whole sexual assault thing, I think a lot of that stems from the hierarchical system of the military and the fact that there aren't that many women in positions of power (because they were never allowed in combat roles). More women in power would probably reduce the numbers of sexual assaults...I'd hope.

I agree with those who say it should be open to those who can pass the physical and skills tests and who choose to do it. For a long time, women pilots weren't allowed, but that prohibition is gone now.

In Israel, women automatically (I'm sure there are a few exceptions) serve in the military, just as the men do.

I agree with those who say it should be open to those who can pass the physical and skills tests and who choose to do it. For a long time, women pilots weren't allowed, but that prohibition is gone now.

In Israel, women automatically (I'm sure there are a few exceptions) serve in the military, just as the men do.

My husband seemed to collect photos of himself with beautiful Israeli women when he was visiting Israel.

I asked to see photos from his trip and it seemed like 1/2 of the photos were of women with machine guns standing next to him! LOL :roflmfao:

Care to share why?

As long as the female can meet the same standards, I don't see the problem. As for the whole sexual assault thing, I think a lot of that stems from the hierarchical system of the military and the fact that there aren't that many women in positions of power (because they were never allowed in combat roles). More women in power would probably reduce the numbers of sexual assaults...I'd hope.

Why do you say that?

Respectfully, I prefer not to go into why "I" feel that women should not be in combat. I don't want to debate my personal feelings, and I have no problem with others feeling that women should be in combat.