Do you think white gold looks like silver?

CSG

Mar 11, 2015
Do you think white gold looks like silver? Or is it just me. I learned from my jeweler that most people prefer white gold over yellow gold. How will you know if it is white gold by just looking? (not checking on the markings)

Do you think white gold looks like silver? Or is it just me. I learned from my jeweler that most people prefer white gold over yellow gold. How will you know if it is white gold by just looking? (not checking on the markings)
They do look pretty darn similar... most can't tell the difference to be honest. Hell, I even I can't unless it has been worn over a period of time. I believe that white gold tends to have slightly yellow tint over time, giving it a warmer look than silver which is cool-toned.

White gold might look like silver on a quick glance but so might platinum and nobody seems to have a problem with platinum.

I say wear what you want but I personally prefer yellow or rose gold hues as my preference for a silver metal is platinum.

I went to a jewelry store earlier (again) just to look at the items and I always thought that the silver items were white gold or vice versa! Haha

It's more difficult to tell when they're shiny & new, especially since white gold is usually rhodium plated. After the plating wears off you'll notice that silver looks colder than white gold.

White gold usually looks a bit dingy and yellow compared to silver, just like platinum always looks a little grey by comparison.

Are most people going to notice? No.
Most people assume that a solid shape is silver, anything with stones is gold, and a wedding ring is platinum because that is what they are used to seeing.

As for the white gold being more popular than yellow? I suspect that's because cheap yellow gold is obviously of lesser quality than the high carat stuff, but 10K white gold and 18K white gold look the same until the rhodium wears through.

I had a white gold class ring and a white gold diamond ring set. They both had a warm glow, but my class ring ended up just looking dingy in all the recessed areas where my diamond ring set had a nice patina. Neither look like silver to me, but I wore them with silver and platinum all the time.

White gold can look like silver when you first buy it. Over time, white gold will start turning slightly yellow (warm tinge as described above is what I see too). Silver tarnishes without polishing, but with constant polishing it can look sparkly