Do you think we are all spoiled snots?

I just don't understand why some people talk bad things about you just because your parents are willing to spoil you or buy you luxury goods? I understand people work hard for their own money, but that doesn't give you any right to put down people who has their parents buying them things..etc etc.

I don't see people here talking bad about parents buying nice things for their kids. What I always hated was the spoiled, snotty kids who expected things handed to them on platters because they always got every thing they wanted. I'm sure that's not you. But I went to high school with several people like that - I always wanted to smack them.

I will expect my children to do what I did...work for their way in life. I worked full time and refused to take any money from my mother for school. I managed to get good grades while paying rent and working full time. I was never able to buy a nice purse of course, but now is the time for that.

And I'll probably still buy my kids nice things - but only on occassions like Christmas and birthdays. And never a car. :smile:

I watch that sweet 16 show on mtv and I'm so disgusted because those girls are such snotty *****es and I wanna smack the **** out of them.

LMAO.. :roflmfao: Have you seen the "heiress" episode. She was so excited about getting a famous artist to serenade her and then she got someone...hmmm I've never even heard of. And the look on her face was hilarious!
:back2topic:
My hubby and I have worked very hard for what we have now. We accepted no financial help when we were starting our own family. It was hard but those very trying times made us better people. What we can afford for ourselves now, we appreciate.

Spoiled brats/ spoiled snots--- There's just a bad connotation there, right? Well, we can all spoil ourselves as long as we don't turn into little devil snots ;)

^ ugh that Sweet 16 show is so funny!! I just sit and laugh at these people...the only party that I thought was truly fabulous was that boy whose dad was a "rap artist" producer/mogul!

yes i'm spoiled. everyone tells me that. but that's just life, some family spoils their children, some don't...etc etc. I'm just happy that my mom shares my LV interest with me so that's why she's willing to buy things for me. I really don't see the probelm with being spoiled. of course i'm not over the top being spoiled, my parents would never buy me a car or anything (some kids got their parents to buy them nice car when they reach 16--> isn't that more spoiled than parents buying them LV bags?) I just don't understand why some people talk bad things about you just because your parents are willing to spoil you or buy you luxury goods? I understand people work hard for their own money, but that doesn't give you any right to put down people who has their parents buying them things..etc etc.
But for my first LV and luxury items, i went to find a part time job to buy my own stuff. Now that I am in University, my parents want me to focus in school, so my parents rather buy me things that i want rather than seeing me work and not focus in school.

i think there's a HUUUUUGE difference between having nice stuff and being spoiled, and it shouldn't be ignored. 'spoiled' is a way of acting toward what you have and the people around you, like you're entitled to have these things even though you've done nothing but exist to earn them, or like you're somehow more worthy or more special than others because you have them. is there anything wrong with parents buying their children things? absolutely not. but there's an important lesson in humility, respect, and independence that has to go along with those things that some parents are too clueless or too careless to include, and THAT is what creates a spoiled child (and really, when parents do that, they're doing a disservice to their kids that will have to adapt to a harsh reality one day).

Interesting thread. When I was growing up my dad had a very good job and my sister and I had just about everything we wanted. Don't get me wrong, we did hear the word "no" a lot when something was too expensive. We were also very lucky that our parents were able to afford to pay our way through college so when we entered the "real world" we didn't have any student loan debt. Our parents also gave us both money for down payments on our first properties.

However, that said, I definitely know the value of work -- I was required to work part time starting at age 15. My parents were always quick to teach that the things we had were a direct result of hard work on my dad's part. Not only did he teach us the value of a dollar, he also taught us how important it is to do other things with it, such as giving it to charity. My husband and I try to be smart with our money, although we are definitely not perfect. (In fact, hubby wishes that I would spend much less money.) So I don't think we are spoiled, as we work very hard and we are generous to others. And being snotty, well, that's just not me. I am proud of who I have become and I work on trying to be a better person every day.

Compared to how I was raised, yes I do feel like I've been spoiled with material comforts and indulgences that I would never have dreamed of as a kid. However, I DON'T think that I'm a spoiled brat, so to speak.

I grew up in a household of 5 adults and 3 kids (extended family arrangement) and only 2 incomes, so money was always tight. My parents put me to work at age 14 when I earned $4.25/hour. I worked every day after school all through HS and also 15-20 hours/week all the way through college. So, I guess I really learned the value of the dollar. Now that I'm in my 30's and have a husband and kids, and we have 2 good incomes, I'm in a very different situation. I think that growing up struggling financially has allowed me to fully appreciate what I have now. And I feel lucky EVERY day! If I ever start to take my creature comforts for granted, then I will have reached rock bottom and probably deserve to be taken out back and you-know-what!!

I'm not spoiled at all. Growing up it was presents for bdays and christmas only. My parents didn't have much money at all. I didn't get an allowance and straight A's weren't rewarded. I got a job at 15 that I stayed at until I was 22 when I became a nurse. I worked 30 hours a week while also working clinicals and going to school full time. I financed my own education and expenses. I bought my first car at 17 with money I had saved up. I never had a bf spoil me. My dh and I paid for our wedding. Looking back on all these things I believe this is why I am sooo independent. I also believe this has made me the generous person that I am. I am too independent to let someone spoil me. I feel guilty when my mom (who due to some very fortunate events over the past few years is better off) now gives me very nice christmas gifts because I'm just not used to it. I think I am a better person because I have had to handle a lot on my own over the years. I am certainly not a snot at all. I am very shy and that can be mistaken for snottiness I guess.

My parents never spoilt us as kids. No presents, unless you deserved it (good grades), and we all had chores. Growing up, (even though we had a nice house, furniture...) somehow, mum and dad managed to convinced us we were poor! And we believed it, until we were in our (mid) teens. It has rubbed off, all the kids are careful with money (all of us are doing very well in our careers).

Funny that now, dad doesn't say anything about us spending on 'luxury goods' in fact he actually enjoys it. He still doesn't spend anything on himself, and will wear a 20-year old pair of pants happily. I still have a 40 year old hand-me-down robe that I wear all the time (DH hates it, and has offered me a decent sum of money to get rid of it.... hah!).

I think just bc you are blessed with the ability to purchase some of your dream items (in our case, bags!) it does not mean you are SPOILED. Most women on here work HARD for their money (I know I do!) and they 100% deserve the nice things they purchase. Spoiled, to me, is someone who keeps on RECEIVING things (usually not from their own hard work) and is never satisfied with what they currently have. Spoiled means you are not grateful for all that you have, and you not only THINK you deserve more, but demand it.

I think I am spoiled to be able to afford the luxury items I purchase. My husband and I work very hard, but so do an awful lot of other people who haven't had the same opportunities DH and I have had. A guy I work with works just as hard as I do, and works as much overtime as possible (unlike me). However, he doesn't have a degree so his pay is much less than mine. My DH makes awesome money, and my friend's wife works at a health department making minimum wage. He is desperately saving money for a new clothes dryer. My wallet alone costs more than he is trying to save for a necessity. He could purchase a car for what I paid for my purse, cosmetic case and wallet.

I am spoiled because I think I deserve these things just because I work hard, and that's been bothering me a lot lately.

I don't think I am spoiled, I see my being able to purchase what I want as a blessing. I was not spoiled growing up, but learned to spoil myself, and since being married I have a husband who spoils me and will give me anything that I want if he can. I don't see this as being spoiled I see it as being blessed.

I think I am spoiled to be able to afford the luxury items I purchase. My husband and I work very hard, but so do an awful lot of other people who haven't had the same opportunities DH and I have had. A guy I work with works just as hard as I do, and works as much overtime as possible (unlike me). However, he doesn't have a degree so his pay is much less than mine. My DH makes awesome money, and my friend's wife works at a health department making minimum wage. He is desperately saving money for a new clothes dryer. My wallet alone costs more than he is trying to save for a necessity. He could purchase a car for what I paid for my purse, cosmetic case and wallet.

I am spoiled because I think I deserve these things just because I work hard, and that's been bothering me a lot lately.

I think that people like the guy you mentioned have unfortunate situations :shrugs: but if they want more they have to go after it. Maybe he should consider going back to school and obtaining that degree so he won't have to save a few hundred bucks for a clothers dryer.
I always look at people in less fortunate situations (in terms of income) and think to myself they need to do something to pull themselves up if they want more. I am working my way through college because its my way of pulling myself up higher on the salary ladder :wlae: What I make now allows me to do what I want, but my wants grow over time and I know that to keep getting what I want I need to make more and more money :yes:

Sometimes I feel like a jerk, when I look around and realize all the cool stuff that I have, but then I think about the fact that I have worked hard ever since I was 16 in an effort to be independent and successful. Hell, I am still paying off the wonderful student loans that got me the great job that affords the lifestyle that I like to live. I say, go forth and be a good person, and if you buy some handbags along the way, you're probably doing just fine (and probably aren't all that spoiled).

i don't think i'm spoiled. I save the majority of what i make, make sure to look for deals, and my expensive purchases are very calculated.

I've been blessed in many ways. Growing up i didn't feel any less than anyone else, and my parents met most of my needs. I went to college, got scholarships, worked during school to cover miscellaneous expenses. My family made sure i realized that you gotta work hard for your money, and also treat yourself too!

I'm charitable, and have given back to my community in a lot of ways. Now i have to watch my spending, as i'm trying to go back to school, and want to stay debt free.

My husband grew up in a completely different setting, and has a hard time believing all of the above!