Do you think twice before posting personal info, photos online?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I couldn't find this article from MSNBC's home page. Can you post a link directly to the article? thanks!

2. Tell that to Britney Spears! ;)

And I know photos get replicated. Like I said, it happened to a friend of mine, but really..what's the worse that could happen? You become the next Mosh Girl? It's not a pleasant situation, but it's not really a big deal. to me, at least...not enough for me to stop posting my face. Besides, I wouldn't want to deprive the world to access of such beauty!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to practice my Blue Steel expression.

3. ^^^:roflmfao:

4. I think people are overly paranoid these days and they should probably quit the internetz right now. A a lot of it probably has to do with media sensationalizing all things web-related.

I don't care who knows the city I live in, what I look like, or what I like to have for dinner, but like with everything else in life you have to use common sense. You probably shouldn't answer scam messages on facebook, just like you won't answer emails from Prince Musa from Nigeria.

As for employers searching Facebook - unless your profile is public, I don't see how they can get your info/photos. And even if those "magical" information-revealing tools exist, again, use your common sense and don't post photos of yourself in a drunken stupor etc

5. LOL, so true. Regarding personal information on the internet, I really don't think there's much of a need for total paranoia, what is really needed is just plain common sense.

6. I'm just not comfortable with it but that is just me.

7. I wonder if people who are very private online are the same IRL, same with those who are open books. Some people seem to be shy and reserved IRL yet open and confident online, and others are open books IRL but very private online. I think that's interesting...

8. Absolutely!! DH and I had a long talk about photos of our children and them being posted online...We generally won't do it anymore

9. That made me laugh. Darn Nigerian princes are always asking for my money...

10. That's strange you mention it because I have always been very reserved online yet I am very very outgoing irl. I just started posting pics of me here on TPF and I already regret it. Seriously, my Faceinhole pics were the first pics I have ever posted of my face and now I am paranoid about it.:lecture:

I just got involved in Facebook because a friend asked me to sign up so I could look at some pics. All of a sudden I had loads of friends that had found me.:faint: I was shocked, but now I am really enjoying seeing everyone again and I never think twice about posting on there because the only people who can see it are people that I have said are my friends.

11. No pics for me....

Especially of my kids or where I live....I even think twice about my bags...although I get over it and post them...with writing things on the internet, Im a bit more relaxed about, but I still wouldnt write something too personal....

I am a very private person....

12. I don't like putting things in a public forum, but if I can set the forum/page to private I am OK with it.

13. When I saw this thread title, I thought "It's cool to post pictures of you, but I just don't get those users who post pictures of their kids". I can't stand kids, and never plan to have any of my own, but even I think doing that is being an irresponsible parent.

On the topic at hand, I don't post pictures of myself. I don't have facebook, myspace, or anything else. I had an LJ, without pictures, and there was drama. So, I thought to myself imagine the drama pictures would cause. While, I'm not the type of person who would call someone out on this, one of the users who was harassing me on LJ is a member here and I get the feeling she's highly well known despite not being currently very active. However, she had a history, not here, of being a cyber bully, though. So, no offense, don't think the tPF is only filled with nice ladies.

14. :rolleyes: