Do you think this is ok?

ilovekitty

O.G.
Feb 14, 2012
I will start off by saying that I hate fakes! I would never buy anything fake or anything like that! But I do not think that some "imitation" type things are bad...For ex: Steve Madden sometimes "imitates" designer things. Anyway, I am really obsessing over Alexander Mcqueen skull clutches!! But unfortunately they are out of my price range for a clutch right now. Besides I can't really justufy spending around $1300 for a clutch. So I came across this "imitation" type clutch that is very similar to the Mcqueen one! It is not a fake because no where on it does it say Mcqueen or in any way does it try to falsey pass as a Mcqueen clutch but it is very very similar in style.
So I am wondering if you ladies think this is knocking it off or is this ok???
I do not want people to look and be like "oh that's a fake" because that is not what I'm going for ! I simply like the style of the clutch with the knuckle deco.

Here is a pic of one of the many colors of Mcqueen clutch.
118hve1.jpg

Here is a pic of the one I bought. As you can tell the shape of the clutch is a bit different too.
o85kqv.jpg

I know what you mean but like you said this clutch is not a fake since it doesnt "pretend" to be McQ. I think its absolutely fine. Enjoy your new clutch and dont worry.

Can anyone help with this??

What do you want help with?

If it bothers you, then return it and don't buy things that look like other things.

There is very little in the handbag/clutch world that is 'new'. Designs have been around for decades. It is rare to find something that hasn't been done before.

:thinking: I think I would have to disagree, honestly. Even without a fake label that clutch says rip-off to me. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I just think there's a fine line with inspired or imitated and this crosses it (the handle details in particular)

What do you want help with?

If it bothers you, then return it and don't buy things that look like other things.

There is very little in the handbag/clutch world that is 'new'. Designs have been around for decades. It is rare to find something that hasn't been done before.

Sorry I just don't have girlfriends to ask for opinions on this. So thats why I am asking on here. I basically just want opinions on whether this looks like a konckoff?? Or could it be ok to wear without ripping off the designer? Thanks

:thinking: I think I would have to disagree, honestly. Even without a fake label that clutch says rip-off to me. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, I just think there's a fine line with inspired or imitated and this crosses it (the handle details in particular)

Thanks for your input! Yes im kind of on the fence about it.... The shape is different and it is fake leather obviously. I do not think it compares with the original but the knuckle part is quite similar..
Urgh idk ..

Whereas a structured box clutch isn't a design that's owned by anyone, nor is a skull motif, when they are put together just so... well, the ONLY intent here is to make it look like McQueen. No, it isn't illegal. But I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it myself (and I am generally not terribly strict about what I consider a "fake" versus "inspired"). This just crosses the line for me, but it is more about your comfort level.

It's one of those things where you have to feel comfortable carrying out. If you're at all uneasy, then I would return it. I really like the clutch body itself, it looks great. But I would feel and worry if it's ethically proper, or if someone is going to go "ewww" (but not likely, this forum really skews what we perceive of the 99.99999....% of the world who doesn't dwell on these things like we do). Also, all it takes is to run into someone with the genuine McQueen and feel like crap afterwards!

It's ironic, the skull rings section from the McQueen clutch are a twist on the brass knuckles from the past. Moschino was known to take something serious and pair it with something out of the blue or whimsical as well. So, McQueen borrowed brass knuckles and threw some skulls on it (no disrespect to the late McQueen)

It's one of those things where you have to feel comfortable carrying out. If you're at all uneasy, then I would return it. I really like the clutch body itself, it looks great. But I would feel and worry if it's ethically proper, or if someone is going to go "ewww" (but not likely, this forum really skews what we perceive of the 99.99999....% of the world who doesn't dwell on these things like we do). Also, all it takes is to run into someone with the genuine McQueen and feel like crap afterwards!

It's ironic, the skull rings section from the McQueen clutch are a twist on the brass knuckles from the past. Moschino was known to take something serious and pair it with something out of the blue or whimsical as well. So, McQueen borrowed brass knuckles and threw some skulls on it (no disrespect to the late McQueen)

You are absolutely right! haha My DBF also tells me "who cares!" lol I really don't think every single person even knows about the mcqueen clutches! I am just going to feel awkward if someone does and ask me if its mcqueen or where it is from! What will I say! "ummmm Mcqueen inspired?" AWKWARD!
I also live in a popular city (vegas fyi) and I am sure they are girls here with the real thing! So that might be real weird as well.
I also do have real everything such as Louboutins and dresses and such so maybe people will think that those are fake as well! OMG the list goes on! URGH
lol Thanks for the insight on this though!

When I was younger, I bought a pair of incredibly cute mouse flats. They weren't cheap and the sales assistant explained that it was because they were made of horsehair which made them look so cute and mouse-like. Of course much later, I found out that they were knockoffs of Marc Jacobs. In a way I'm somewhat glad I hadn't realised then. I adored those shoes and they made me happy.

Today, I'm a little more well read. And I wonder if I'm not simply better manipulated by marketeers. I can't bring myself to buy a reasonably priced well-made pair of shoes simply because they have red soles and I'm afraid what people might think. The sensible in me says, its a little silly.

I'm afraid I don't have a straight-forward answer to your question OP. Its something I'm trying to navigate myself but I'd say if you like it and its not an outright fake, then enjoy it without pre-judging yourself.